I'm probably just way ahead of myself, huh?

I know my daughter is still pretty young.. (16 almost 17 months) But she tells me she has to poop or pee before (sometimes after) she even does so... If I'm not ready when she is, she takes off her diaper. I guess she doesn't like being dirty... I read this is a sign to start potty training.. But she's still really young. What do you think?

DeathBat

Asked by DeathBat at 9:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you should definitely introduce the potty now. There's really no need to wait.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You may want to start introducing the potty to her but now really start yet. If she can go up to 3 hours dry, wake up dry from naps and in the morning then she may be ready. This shows signs of bladder control. I bought my dd a potty at 18 months, she is now 2 and we will be getting rid of the diapers this weekend for good. Start slow the more you push the more she may resist. when she is ready she will do it.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Thanks!
    DeathBat

Answer by DeathBat at 9:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• It sounds like she is ready to me. I was potty trained before I was 2.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Get that girl on the potty! It sounds like she is ready, those are all the major signs they tell yo to look out for. I would say to save yourself the time and money it takes to diaper her and start with the potty. You are a very lucky mother, I hope I get that lucky!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 9:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I would start getting her used to sitting on the potty either when she wants, or even better, at certain times like after a meal, before and after a nap, before bed... my daughter doing just what your daughter is doing at about 15 months. At 16 months we had her sitting on there about 5 times a day (we put a ring on the big toilet -- she has never wanted to sit on the little potty chair). All the sudden, at around 17 months, we started getting a lot of "hits." We rewarded them only with applause and excitement. About a week later, she was only pooping on the potty (she had a fairly regular schedule so it was easy enough to predict when it would happen). She's now 17.5 months and is waking up dry after (4 hour!) naps, sometimes in the morning, and yesterday we had her in underwear all day and she only had one accident. She's been telling us when she needs to poop for awhile, but yesterday she told us when she needed to pee!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:45 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Also, make sure your first introductions to the potty are 100% stress-free. We put our daughter on and then read a book. If she was ready to get down, so be it. Little by little I was able to get her to sit for longer periods (usually with a small pile of books). And now she's comfortable with me walking out of the room for a couple of minutes (which is often when she will pee or poop). Good luck! I really, really encourage you to act now!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:46 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• How exciting EmilySusan!! Congrats on your little one and thanks for the advice!!
    DeathBat

Answer by DeathBat at 11:44 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Introduce the potty but don't push it... Let her tell you when she's ready..
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 5:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2010