terrible twos in public meltdown?

A few weeks ago my almost 2 year old son and I went grocery shopping together. He decided that it was time to throw a fit as we were standing in line to checkout. The store was super busy and we were next in line at the automated checkout. But, I couldn't scan my own groceries because my son would not sit or stand he was just screaming in my arms. I had to have a complete stranger scan and bag all my groceries I was so mortified! Has anyone else had a meltdown in public with their toddler?!

queenfet

Asked by queenfet at 9:23 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yep. I have 5 kids and it is always embaressing. But I figure I am not the only one who has gone through it. My oldest who is now a mom herself embaressed me the worst. She would run in front of my cart at walmart or where ever and lay in front of it in protest. I used to just ignore her and go around her. Eventually we made it to the check out where she would carry on and on. Now her sons 3 and he does the same and she says OMG WHY? I remind her Karma and all that haha.

Answer by gemgem at 9:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Loads of us have dealt with this. I'm glad that you found a helpful stranger to assist you. The problem with the grocery store is that it's not a place toddlers want to be so leaving or threatening to leave is not a punishment to the two year old. So, don't worry, you're not the first or the last mother this has happened to.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 9:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My kids never did this.
    Anonymous

• you betcha! my mom was car shopping this past week and we took my almost 15 month old along. He had enough car shopping and when he was told no about going to another area of the office threw a complete fit kicking shoes off and screaming. I turned my back and let him have his fit. when he was done crying he walked back up to me. (of course i could see where he was, just made him think i wasnt paying attn to him). I will find a "time-out" spot wherever we are. I was visiting a retail store I used to work at, and as we were leaving again, threw a fit. so he got sat by the wall, i sat on a bench and waited for him to finish freaking out. with him it works really well, and he's realized that he's not getting attn for his fits, and they are getting shorter and shorter in public.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Yep and I just drop everything and leave the store. I've abandoned carts half full of food before. I've let kids just sit on the floor and scream themselves out too. Oh the looks you get from that. And the comments you make to these people. LOL I've had CPS called on me because I carried one out the door screaming. (someone thought I was kidnapping him or being "abusive" He's crying so he must've been hit right??UMM.... NO!) It happens to almost everyone. I've learned outings are best planned around things like nap time and the child should be removed from the activity if they are going to tantrum.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Yes, my kid pitched a fit in front of a restaurant on a busy downtown street. Like you, a strange woman ran up and said, "You hold him down, I'll strap him in!" (into his stroller). I was so thankful. Honestly, from that point on, I just let them lay on the floor and freak out no matter how much it was killing me. It zapped the power out of their hands really fast.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• mine knows that will result in an immediate swat on the ass no matter who is looking! and my 2 yr old will get popped on his hands when he misbehaves like this. i dont know what it is, but a quick snap on the butt will cut any fit short around my house lol. they literally stop dead in the middle of a breakdown as if i am knocking sense back in them!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• only thing is my son has realized that when we are in a quiet restaurant, that crying very loud will get him almost anything
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Yup... I just tell her to scream louder because I'm not getting enough dirty looks from people and those people will turn around and look away real quick hahaha Anyone that has a child, has been through it at least once. Don't go through the self check out or strap your child in the basket so they can't fall or get hurt but you can finish what your doing....
    Anonymous