Why wont the Catholic church baptize me without my husbands anullment from his first marriage?

My husband was married catholic approx 15 years ago, with no children born to that marriage. They divorced and he and I got married non catholic...he is catholic, Iam not. A daughter was born to us and we had her baptized catholic as an infant. Now I have decided to become catholic and I am on the final stretches of completing my RCIA classes and have been told I cannot be baptized catholic until my husband has his first marriage anulled. So can someone please tell me why they reconized our marriage enough to baptize our daughter but not enough to baptize me?????? thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If one or both parents intend to raise a child in the Catholic faith, the church will baptize the baby regardless of the marital status of the parents. So that is why your child is baptized. However, according to the Catholic Church your husband is still married to his first wife - regardless of whether or not they had children and whether or not they had a legal divorce. The Catholic Church took your husband very seriously when he made a life-long commitment to his first wife.

In order to receive a sacrament in the CC one should be in a state of grace - not having an unconfessed mortal sin and not currently committing a mortal sin. By living with your husband as huband/wife you're committing adultry (Matt. 19:9) - a mortal sin. As long as that condition remains as it is, the CC cannot baptize you. You husband can seek an annulent, then he's free to marry you and you could be baptized.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Babies are innocent and the church will almost always baptize them. In the Catholic churchs eyes you are married to a married man. Until he goes through the procedure you wont be officially accepted. Its old school church ways. Just have him do it.

Answer by gemgem at 9:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Some information about Catholic annulments - "10 Questions About Annlment" and "10 Myths About Annulments". 

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• bc that's the rules!
    Anonymous