Religious education?

Why do parents think that if they raise their children with absolutely no exposure to religion, then the child will "someday" choose a religion on their own? We certainly wouldn't think of raising them without exposure to other types of education and then expect them to learn it on their own later.

ceallaigh

Asked by ceallaigh at 10:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The attitude of raising children without any religion and then expecting they'll choose for themselves when they're older is as logical as

raising children without any music or musical instrument expecting they'll take it up when they're older. By then they will have lost the window to develop a feel for music.

raising children without any table manners or courtesy, expecting that when they're older they'll just start being considerate of others on their own.

Go ahead and give them a firm foundation of right and wrong, and WHY. They can (and WILL ) re-think things for themselves, and come to their own convictions. But without a foundation in morality, they are far more likely to be a-moral. Without the security of believing that "God provides", they're more likely to feel that the world is "every man for himself".
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• being raised without religion is a "religion". there will always be some sort of influence as in "no god" "possibly god" "is a god" and then the subs- to those.
    i can see their rationale, but i want to raise my kids with certain morals and beliefs, as i think most parents do.
    parents who raise their kids with nothing leave more of a door open for their kids to believe in nothing in any shape or form (christianity, islam, wicca, etc etc).
    more than likely their child will choose a "feel good" religion... self-fulfilling, rather than truth.
    just my opinion though.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I think there's a difference between not raising children with religious knowledge and not raising children with religious dogma. I think a lot of people who say they are raising kids 'without religion' are referring to 'without dogma'- not telling them that one way is right and the only way to the exclusion of every other belief.

For instance, dh and I are not raising our kids in any particular religion. There are a lot of religious beliefs in our family. We don't want to teach one and exclude the others. It doesn't mean we don't talk about what different people believe, or what different ideas there are about the afterlife/God/other religious ideas.

Raising kids in a religion is not the same as 'raising kids with morals'- obviously we all want our kids to be moral people. Do you really think the non-religious don't care about their kids' values? Morality can come from religion, but the two are not the same.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• It doesn't mean we don't talk about what different people believe, or what different ideas there are about the afterlife/God/other religious ideas.

**************

What she said :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You can't live in the US and have "no exposure" to religion. It's every where. I am raising my children with no religious indoctrination. Religion is not a forbidden topic is our house. We have discussions about religion and what other people think, but I would never tell my children what they should think. I don't expect that when they get older they will just pluck a religion out of thin air. I expect them to learn about and research all religions, and make an informed decision about which, if any, they wish to follow.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:11 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I can totally sympathize with parents who want to raise their children without "dogma". Unfortunately, I don't think it's very realistic, because dogma is extremely subjective. I know people who are down-right dogmatic about avoiding dogma! I'm raising my child with religion, also avoiding what I consider to be dogma. What more can I say?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My son knows about a lot of different religions. By saying I'm not raising him in a religion I mean I'm not terrorizing him every night by telling him if he's bad he'll burn in hell or brainwashing him into believing if he strays from the path arbitrarily dictated by some book he's doomed for all eternity. We'll save the dogma and heavy lifting for when his brain is done developing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:06 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• First of all you cant force religion on them that will just make them rebel more EX:my Father is a preacher he forced my brothers and i to go to church with him every time the doors were open Sundays Wednesdays Thurs night bible Study and all other events that went on we were there almost every night of the week and when we weren't at the church we were at some elderly persons house doing yard work or cutting fire wood. it was like that of the first 17 years of my life then i got my license and i got a part time job after school i moved out of my parents house and began to rebel such as doing drugs, meeting men places to sleep with them then one day i had found my self in a lot of trouble...because i was sheltered and lived with no social life i was stupid the the real world... Teach your kids about religion but dont tell them what to do let them decide and dont Shelter them...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• okay... op, I'm not sure if this is meant to be offensive or not. But I'm going to assume it is directed at people ingeneral who won't allow their children tolearn about any religions outside of their parents. (not just atheism but any religion).

For me personally, I"m all about learning and education for my child.. this includes other religions and cultures and history. I'm open to letting her make the decision she wants to when she is old enough, based off the education she has learned about these religions. No.. I won't sit here and teach just what I believe about different religions either (I'm atheist). I would love her to talk to people of those faiths, to gain a better perspective on those religions.

I do have a great problem with people that don't educate themselves or their children about other religions, their cultures, and their histories.. cont.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:25 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• those three things play a great role in the world we live in today. Religions, and cultures have affected all of us, and it only stands to reason, that we would educate ourselves on the history of them. You can't learn if you don't understand or refuse to understand these issues. I have just as much of a problem with an atheist mother that refuses to discuss any religion to their children and/or badmouths all religions to their child, as I do with a Christian who refuses to discuss any religion outside their own and/or badmouths all other religions to their child.

I have just as much of a problem with ANYONE who refuses to look deeper into religions and their histories. Science comes up with new information every day.. we find new species of animals, or something we thought was lost in history, etc.. But if you are stuck on one piece of information, you'll never FULLY understand it unless you investigate it fully.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:30 AM on Feb. 22, 2010