How do i keep him from biting me?

I would really love to keep breastfeeding my 6 month old DS but he keeps biting me! I've tried looking at him in the eyes and asking him not to bite mommy, I've tried doing that in a stern voice, i've tried taking it away from him and letting him fuss a bit and then giving it back...Things i won't do are flicking him or bopping him on the head, there is no way...but what are my other options?? Please! It really hurts!

LogansMama09

Asked by LogansMama09 at 10:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Three strikes. Use the "don't bite" warning twice. On the third bite, put him down and walk away for five minutes. Then try again. Be consistent....repeat as often as needed.

And be sure he gets no solids before nursing. That's a common reason for biting; baby is already full. SOlid sare an afterthought.

Be consistent and expect to do this over and over for a while till he gets it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• When i was a baby, I bit my mother while she was BFing me....she screamed, scared the crap out of me and then I wouldn't nurse anymore...so don't do that lol. I agree with the first poster.
    Anonymous

• Teach the child the word "NO" now, not when they are turning 5 or 6 yrs. old.
    Yo-Super-Momma

Answer by Yo-Super-Momma at 11:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• How long has he been doing it? My 5-month-old was doing this pretty frequently, and I just realized he hasn't done it at all this week! Whew! I was doing the stern "NO" and pulling him off, and he just thought I was joking! Maybe it will pass? If not, I agree with the PPs... If breastfeeding is this important (and I know it would be for me) than I think it's worth it to be tough on him. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:02 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• If you start to pay close attention I'll bet you will be able to predict when he will bite. He CAN'T bite you when he is actively nursing, as his tongue will cover his lower teeth. Often they will bite when they have finished feeding and are just sucking for comfort. Try to watch for him to stop actively feeding and take him off before he bites.
    Like the PP said, even if you do nothing it will likely stop soon.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2010