Going from no time out to time out, how to implement time out

My almost 2 year old is ready for time out but I dont know how to start it or what REAL reasons call for a time out and how to explain time out...
my kido is hitting and biting alot and throwing tantrums I have tried everything to teach him he needs to be nice and not hit or bite but he wont stop, time out is my last resort

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well... I don't have a kid that age yet, but saw that no one else had answere yet..... I think if it were me, I would use a time out really practically, like, "You need to go to your room and sit out for a little while." Then after a few moments, I dunno, 5? Go in and talk to him really personally. Talk to him about what he did, and tell him just what is going to happen if he does it again. Then FOLLOW THROUGH! Some kids get overstimulated, and time to themselves helps them get their bearings. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• myboys are two & we have a set seat thats not near any toys and i bought a timer from the dollar store and i use the counting method most of the time when he does something bad like climbing for example billy get down 1 billy get down twoand by threeits a time out if your being lazy and dont threaten it. if it's hitting or biting thats an immediate tie out, then i sithim down i ried two minutes it was too long so i doone minute then discuss why he had to sit there hope this helps
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:16 AM on Feb. 22, 2010