How do I get rid of head lice?

My daughter got it about a month ago and it took me a good week or so to get rid of them. I checked every couple of days for the last couple of weeks and yesterday discovered they are back. I was wondering if anyone knows of any home remedies or anything that you have tried that actually works. I did the lice shampoo but it took a while to get rid of them. HELP I have 3 girls and a boy and I am so afraid they are all going to get it if I dont figure something out soon!!!!

bjsgrl

Asked by bjsgrl at 12:20 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Health

• FIRST OF ALL TAKE ALL THE STUFF ANIMALS PUT THEM INTO A BAG , WASH ALL THE CLOTHS, BEDS SPRAY LYSOL ON EVERYTHING USE LISTERINE PUT IT ALL OVER THERE HEAD THEN TAKE A SHOWER CAP OR A BAG COVER THERE HEAD FOR 2 HRS THEN YOU HAVE TO GET THE EGGS YOU KNOW ALL THAT KEEP DOING IT TWICE A WEEK AND THEY SHOULD BE GONE THAT IS WHAT MY FRIEND TOLD ME AND DID WITH HER KIDS
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Ok, you MUST do the work. Here it goes: Use the lice shampoo. Then, or instead, cover dd head completely with Cetaphil, soaking every darn strand of hair and then blow or air dry. Blowing takes a long time but it's better because the heat kills the lice and nits. Do this every 8 hours. I did it every morning and night for 12 days straight, never wavering, w/ a bath in between. Toss the bed linens and pillow, coat, backpack, clothes into the dryer 20 mins when she leaves for school. Vacuum all upholstered furniture daily. NIT PICK with a metal comb twice a day. Do all of this for 14 days straight (lice life cycle) and they will be gone but you must do it every day. It's tiring work but it's the only way. I got rid of my son's in 2 days but completed the 14 days of chores and cetaphil head treatment on both kids even when one didn't have it. GO TO WAR. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• after it's gone, use rosemary or tea tree essential oil in her hair.I mix it w/ water and spray their heads and packs every day before school
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• the thing is did you treat your house? the bedding, the couches, your car? jackets, clothing, towels? because all it takes is ONE MIISSED ONE and they come back. you might need to chance to a different type of lice shampoo, i would get the sprays to treat your furniture and car apolstry as well. make sure ALL bedding, clothing, jackets etc is washed in SUPER HOT water and dried on high.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Don't forget the CAR SEATS
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I agree with the first answer mouth wash works.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:33 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• You have to wash everything... sheets, pillow cases, covers, etc. Again. Wash all jackets too to make sure and then do the special shampoo again (sorry i don't know any other home remedies) and use the little nit comb that comes with it to make sure you are getting them all. To be sure, do a shampoo of everyone and also, clean all hats, caps, beanies, etc and tell them not to share those things at school too cause that can spread it so quickly. It may be all throughout the school right now so just keep an eye out on your kids and keep all their stuff clean. Good luck. I know it's frustrating!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 12:33 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I heard olive oil drowns them you have to cover her head entirely also heard of some other things that worked but not sure somewhere on cafemom theirs helps..Plus the oil doesnt stick like everything else out their just douce her in that and get a lice comb and comb them all out. you need to get the nits too that are left behind this why he or she is reinfested. you could also try mayo if olive oil is too much but leave it in overnight it suffocates them and she will stop itching. Rinse the hair in the morning and grab a bottle of vinegar,add a couple tablespoons to water to get rid of the rancid smell and to help remove the lice and hopefully nits. When you see that its all been removed wash and then throw everything into the dryer.
    Also you can add baking soda to your childs shampoo just a tablespoon or even a teaspoon. GL I hated when my kids got it. They are scary looking under a scope.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• they have changed the recommendation saying you don't need to wash everything . Pillows, loved toys & hairbrushes, maybe vacuum the couch. Head lice are tricky little suckers, with three daughters I have met lots in my Mommy time.
    We do a conditioner treatment every Friday night & every wednesday night. Get their hair totally wet & warm Get a cheap conditioner & coat their heads. Get them to wash it off a tiny bit til it is slick ( or pour one cup of water through it) , then comb , comb, comb. We do it in the shower base so I don't worry about where they go, they all go straight down & down the plug hole.. Repeating every four or three days means nothing gets a chance to get to the adult stage without using yucky chemicals - head lice have mutated & are very resistant to most drug store head lice preparations. All you can do is get them out before they are old enough to lay eggs. (plus their hair is soft & chem- free)
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 1:38 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Oh yeah, insist no sharing of hats, beanies or hairbands, and never play hairdressers with someone elses brush, check everyone with the conditioner treatment above - the more everyone uses the chemical treatments (many contain pyrethrin a nerve agent and we pour it on their heads!!) the more resistant they become. Good Luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 1:41 AM on Feb. 22, 2010