Well, I got myself into a pickle !

Just found out I am pregnant with my 3rd -- and my husband just got a new job -- starts tomorrow -- hey don have a compant insuance or anything -- we have to find one that pays out of pocket...we thought we were set because we found a great one for only $250/month.....well now since Im pregnant we cant find any that covers that...except ones that are like $600/month and we cant pay that......

any ideas or know of any out of pocket insurances that are actually good for a family.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Highmark special care is for low income families. They cover pregnancy, but no complications from what I understood when I was on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I live in Michigan and there is a program called "Healthy Kids" and "MI Child" (MI is like "my"). It only costs $5 per month and is obviously an assistance program for people with no insurance. I don't know where you live or if you have anything like that available, but look into it. You could also check with Medicaid. I don't know how all of that works, but maybe you could at least check into it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• If you qualify, while you're in this little mess. You should apply for medicad. Then once he starts his job and gets going you all will eventually pay it all back with taxes and such.

Nothing wrong with getting the assistance if you need it, and don't mooch, and plan to one day be out of the mess and pay it back.

Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I feel for you. I'm in South Korea right now and pregnant. I'm coming back to the US and I'll still need to figure out how to get this pregnancy covered when I get back! Good luck!
    Simply_Janeen

Answer by Simply_Janeen at 1:12 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I had a simular situation when I was pregnant with my son. Started a new job and then found out I was a few weeks pregnant. My insurance didn't kick in until after probation was over and then I was considered to have a pre-existing condition. Anyway, the long short of it was that I couldn't get coverage except through private pay, and so I got put on medicade for the duration of my pregnancy. It felt weird to have to be in a situation of need, but my need to have a healthy pregnancy outweighed my issues with using government assisted insurance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• This may seem like an OUT OF THE BOX response but...no one says we NEED insurance to have a baby. Only since big business got rolling did people say we need to follow a medical schedule with our baby. Heck we do not even HAVE to have our babies in the hospital. Many opt for home births.

Depending on your history and previous deliveries...that may be an alternative for you. Home birth has been happening for thousands of years prior to hospital births.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 2:26 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• (OP ) ....we live Ohio ( I will check about teh healthy kids of MI Child)

we dont qualify for medicaid

My last 2 pregnancies were really bad -- I got very sick with both and hey were both early, emergency c-sections
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Feb. 22, 2010