When a child has a fever and they are feeling cold what do you do...Do you cover or uncover?

Thank you ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I never add extra layers, My doctors have always told me it is bad for a fever. I make sure they are in clothing that will be warm but not overly so and i let them have a light blanket, nothing heavy. I have friends who are nurses and the one thing they always comment on is the number of people who walk in to ER with fevers and wrapped in multiple layers and blankets.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:01 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• you give them a bath in luke warm water to bring the fever down and then wrap them up
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:01 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Depends on how high the temperature is. My parent's (more my dad) believed in the freeze it out theory. I HATED it but it did always work. I have an immune disorder though that causes me to have very high temps, 104 is normal for me with a cold. I personally believe that if it isn't 103+, you can give them a thin blanket.

One thing that my doctor as a child always told us though is that a cold towel on the back of the neck and on the wrists will break a fever AND allow a child to use a blanket.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:03 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• See what is "too high" for their age. If it's there, give tylenol and use cooling measures. If not that high, REMEMBER fevers actually serve a purpose to kill bacteria in the body. I would say if it's not too high, cover them to make them comfortable!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:27 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• my mother always put me in a longsleeve shirt because it didnt have the heat of a sweatshirt but wasnt as cold as a t-shirt and i wore sweatpants and socks. i wouldnt use a blanket cause that keeps heat in and when you have a fever your body needs to breathe so you dont want to trap that heat in. but the BEST way to bring down a fever is to put a cold washcloth on the back of your neck, forehead, wrists and ankles. my mother did this to me everytime i had a fever and it made me feel so much better as well as brought the fever down. she replaced the cold cloths every 5 minutes with another cold cloth and repeated for about 25 minutes. it works believe me, try it.
    momamay2010

Answer by momamay2010 at 1:28 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Fever is the body doing what it is supposed to do- it is one of the body's defences against an infection ( many bacteria and viruses can't survive above certain temps). So trying to stop the fever stops the body fighting off whatever is trying to get a foothold in their system. If they are hot but feel col, let them have a blanket- you know the feeling of not being able to get warm- hideous! The only concern is if the temperature spikes over what is safe - (I'm in Australia so not sure what you would say in farenheit) Give cool drinks, keep them hydrated and remind yourself a fever means they have a healthy immune system working it's magic.
    Good Luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 1:51 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I think that if the child is complaining of feeling cold when they have a fever, you can give them a light blanket. I wouldn't bundle them. If the fever is high (102 or more, depending on the age of the child) I would put cool compresses on the forehead, under the neck, and in the armpits. If nothing else, it does help by letting them feel better. Keeo them hydrated and feel welcome to call your doctor's nurse about symptoms. A lot of the time they will tell you to give some tylenol or ibuprofen to bring down high fevers.

myheartx4- I believe that it is anything over 38 C that people start to monitor the fever. Anything over 40 C is when doctors are call when in hospital.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 1:59 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• You don't want to to anything to induce the shivering reflex, this will cause the fever to spike. Shivering is the body's way of warming up. So if you throw your kid in a cold bath and he starts shivering, his temperature will spike when he gets out. A light blanket is fine. Anything under 102 is low grade is the body taking a healthy response to infection. I use a fever reducer at the first sign of a fever. Just be sure to chart the times of medication and the time and temperature. Don't hesitate to call a doctor if it climbs over 102 for more accurate advice.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• thanks etsmom, was unsure and didnt want to guess- we say over 40 C * ( and studies now show an average baby temp is more around 38 than 36.7 that we were told when my first was born... no wonder I always thought he was sick LOL) but not sure what that is in farenheit
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:06 AM on Feb. 22, 2010