Chores ?

My SD is 15. These are her chores:
Clean her bedroom once a week
Clean her bathroom once a week
Take out the trash once a week
Take out the recycling once every other week
Scoop out the 2 cat boxes every night & change them completely once a week.
She is also supposed to help with the dishes every evening, but she only ends up doing that about 2-3 times a week (and most of the time she just piles the dishes in the sink & leaves them there).
I am making her do her own laundry, starting tomorrow.

I think she should do more to help out, like helping to pick up & clean the common areas (kitchen, living room, etc.).

IDK how many chores a teen "should" be doing... Is what she is doing enough? Or should I tell her to help more?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• All kids should learn to be responsible and their chores help them to appreciate what is done for them. My 5 yo has chores! He makes his bed, picks up his toys and clothes and he loves to help cook and clean. He loves to be involved helping and it makes him feel happy. Hell, he even likes helping with dishes! We make it fun! All the kids help out and have their own things. I do agree, these things should be done everyday. My kids are to have the bed made when they wake up, dressed and everything picked up before breakfast, then put dishes in dishwasher. After school, they get their snack, homework, help set up for dinner or read, dishes after then bath. School work ALWAYS COMES FIRST! Little one sorts his laundry and the others do their own. Kids get to make dinner twice a week and those are the nights I do dishes! Just make sure you are being reasonable and not having her do "your" duties! NEVER ANY DISHES IN THE SINK!!!
    NoDramaMamma

Answer by NoDramaMamma at 1:24 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• her things should be done EVERYDAY imo. her room being cleaned, bathroom cleaned, etc. if she isnt doing dishes properly then she needs to be taught how again and be docked her allowance for it. at this age its not HOW much she is doing but what is she learning? is she learning to take care of herself? is she learning how to be clean and neat? is she learning respect? i think that is more important to think about when writing her chore list. gl!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:04 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• when i was 15 i had to keep my room clean, vaccuum the whole house once a week, dust the upstairs once a week, clean the bathroom once a week, clean up the dog poops 2x a week, dry dishes after supper every night, empty dishwasher whenever it was needed to be done...usually it was 1-2x a week..during summer i had to cut the grass every other week (me and my bro alternated).....and yaaa i think thats about it..all for 35 bucks a month!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• when i was this age i got an allowance of $25. every friday night if all week i kept my room and bathroom clean as well as didnt leave any of my belongings around the house as well as by friday night had all my laundry done and put away. you do have to remember that being that age she will have lots of more work to do in school which can consume a lot of time. OH also, this isnt a chore but for every A+ not A or A- but every A+ i got on a report card i would be given $25. but then again my grandparents (whome raised me) was collecting from the state for having me so money wasnt really an issue. hope this helps :)
    momamay2010

Answer by momamay2010 at 1:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• First yes ,she shiuld have some shores to do. but don't over work her. have her do little things. like make her bed, pick up her room, help set and clear table, help wash and dry dishes, wipe down the kitchen table. help fold and put away laundry, help feed the cats , and when you go food shopping have her help you bring in the bags,And maybe at first for a while you two can do them together and explain how those things are done, or about school, or her life with her friends. And you can also say that until her chores are all done she's not allowed to do anything fun she wants to do. gl;)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• has she always had chores to do? i have 3 kids 12,10, and 8 year old and they have chores but i have given them chores since they were like 3. (lol) justl little things like picking up after them selfs! I really hope you just didnt deciede one day ok my baby is 15 now let me give her some chores! Good luck! :)
    gonzalez3

Answer by gonzalez3 at 12:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My 16yr old son is in the same boat! He only picks his clothes up out of his bathroom everyday and he is just starting to clean his spare room and his bedroom too! My husband yesterday just laid down the law to our son that he has to start doing his own laundry soon! without our help! And i have alread talked my husband about what i think out son should be doing this comming summer! He should help out in the yard and pull the weeds and mow the lawn and also take out the garbage and the recycling too! And he isn't allowed to stay up all night pass 3 am or 4 am! I told my husband that if our son wants to get a job this summer! that he needs to get his priorties right!
    babyboomer1977

Answer by babyboomer1977 at 1:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• my SD only has to feed her pets, that's about it, and even has to be reminded about it! I've let her Dad handle that arena, since I am not the authority- altho I have asked for her help plenty of times when I've needed it. I think it would be GREAT if she was made to clean her room once a wk, since it hardly ever is, and seems to be a real unsanitary place. Once in a while Dad has her help cook or help with dishes. So, comparatively speaking, your SD seems to be learning a good amount of responsibility.
    merryheart

Answer by merryheart at 1:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I think every one in a household should have at least one chore that is theirs. The rest depends on age, sports or other activity, & whether the child has a job or not.
    Anonymous