What age is okay to have a boyfriend?

I know my daughter is too young right now, she's 8, but she said she has had a boyfriend since last year. Even in pre-school she said she had a boyfriend. I know it's just being playful right now, but when is it time to really look into it? Children are maturing so fast these days.

babs82

Asked by babs82 at 1:02 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• 14...they're mature enough to make wise decisions, yet young enough that they can still enjoy their youth
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:07 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i remember having a boyfriend in elementary. we all had boyfriends etc because it was like playing "house" in sort of a way. its just the kids learning how to be in OUR world. they see us doing thesee things so they want to do it to. mind you when they do it they are really just playing right now, being kids and having fun with it. it's important for you to make her understand you are there for her to talk WHENEVER she needs to talk that way if something goes beyound child's play she knows she can tell you!! GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:07 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• its got to do with individual maturity. your daughter might be ready to have a boyfriend at 14 or maybe not till 18? who knows.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:07 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I had my first real boyfriend, and first kiss, in 5th grade (i'm 23 now) .. I hope it hasn't gotten any younger than that! I think that's the usual 'boy crazy' age ;) good luck!
    SavvyMomma1809

Answer by SavvyMomma1809 at 1:08 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I am going to say 18 Because that's when they should be old enough to have a child.
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 1:09 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Be careful with this one! My hubby has a sister who is 11 now. She has been close to me since she was about 8. At the age of 9 she told me about her new boyfriend, a few days later her "boyfriend" came over to their house to play and after he left she told me they made out in her closet! I freaked out and so did hubby, his mom banned the "boyfriend" from the house. To make matters worse, we found out a few weeks later that his then 12 year old sister was trying to sneak out to see her boyfriend in the middle of the night!
    I didn't have my first boyfriend until I was 14 (only 18 now). Most girl's I grew up with had their first real boyfriend at around 13-14.
    I think it all depends on your daughter's maturity level and how much you teach her about respect and dating. Hubby's mom was horrible at teaching his sister's about anything boys and what was okay and what wasn't. My mom was always open with me about the topic.Good luck!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:12 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i am a 19 year old teenager and started the whole "crush, i like you" scene when i was in 4th grade. its not anything serious but just a fun flirty cute thing. i would just say start worrying and making sure you meet these "boyfriends" when shes around 13 yrs old so you know who shes "dating" and make sure you instill in her that sex should be saved for marraige and boys will respect her more for wwhat she doesnt do rather than what she does do and part of being a lady is having class of course. class meaning that she has respect for her body and treats it right. thats what i was told and granted i did loose my virginity before marraige and at 17 yrs of age but i was at least with the guy for four years before i decided to because thats what my parents instilled in me. hope that helps :) sorry if it doesnt
    momamay2010

Answer by momamay2010 at 1:12 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I was pretty shy. I kissed a few boys, but I didn't have a boyfriend til 16. I'll feel it out later but so far its going to be 16.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• not ages 5-8 that's for sure! Atleast 16
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 3:08 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• 16 years old at the youngest IF you have been very honest and give your daughter some serious advice about NOT having sex until she is older and in a committed,faithful relationship ...or married. I'm not kidding.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:22 AM on Feb. 22, 2010