How do you want to raise your child?

I am asking this question because days and times have changed so much since the older day's. I want to raise My children to respect others, be kind and helpful to the elderly, going to church, eat with manners, be proper, and always be a good helping hand, and not to be spoiled, and to help with chores, fun family times, and lots of gathering with friends and everyone in the family. I want to be the best Mom possible and raise then with morals and some dignity.

I don't see children anymore act proper, I believe in discipline but with communication. Not hitting or spanking! Just a swat on the hand, nothing hurtful or wrong!

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 1:13 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• sounds good to me. i have those goals as well for the most part. it is definately a full time job though.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 1:20 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I am a young mother, my daughter who is 10 months already knows that when you sneeze you say bless you, Every time she sneezes she stairs at you until you say it! She also learned to say thank-you a few days ago, of course it is overused and not always said when needed but its a start!

I want my daughter to always be polite to adults and peers, use "ma'am" and "sir" when speaking to adults, share well, be outgoing and friendly, never judge people. Basically I want her to be respectful and be a role model for her peers. I would love her to be the popular cheerleader, if that's what she wants, but if I better never catch her making fun of someone or putting someone down.

I would hope these are the same things everyone want's for their children, but each mother has their own dreams for their babies. I definitely agree with what you stated above.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:21 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I want to raise them exactly how i am doing it. I teach manners, to have an open mind, to not be judgemental and to be respectful of different beliefs. I teach them to set and reach goals to take the high road and to remember they are responsible for their actions. My kids are happy, healthy, well loved, and lead a very full life. We expose them to many different things and try to show them the world around them not just the small part we live in.

I also encourage my children to come to theri own conclusions about things, i will share my views and opinions but i encourage them to find out more before deciding how they feel. I want my children to form their own opinions and ideals, i dont want them to just take mine and run with it, without truly knowing why they feel that way. To me if they do something simply because thats what their parents did than i have failed to teach them to think for themselves.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:22 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I also want to teach my kids and have been teaching my kids to be respectful. I always have them say please and thank you, I tell them to never ever be a kid at school that makes fun of someone else because they are different, always help out others, cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough things like that. But I have also taught them to stick up for themselves and not let ppl walk all over you. Sometimes ppl take good ppl for granted. I want to give my children everything and anything I can but also learn to work for things and know that not everything will be handed to you in life.
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 1:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• These are all very important to teach our children. no answer is better then anyone else. I just think that I have so much to teach that I as a parent want to teach the right things to My Daughter.
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 1:48 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I agree with everything that you all are saying. I think that the key to raising your children to have the values and morals that you want them to have is consistency. I can't tell you how many times I hear a parent say something like " ok, you aren't going to get____," and then they go ahead and give it to them anyway. Anyway, I believe in consistency.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 2:03 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i agree that it is very important to teach young children manners and respect but i am also teaching my child not to be a push over either. she knows to answer yes and no maam/sir, she says please, thank you etc and is very polte, but i want her to be ready for the mean ass kids she will encounter in school. right now she is still my baby, she cries to me when she falls, etc, or she doesnt like for ppl to laugh at her, etc but i want her to know that kids say and do mean things and she needs to be able to dish it back. so i make sure i equip her with a few funny lines for when someone has something mean to say to her....her favorite is, "it doesnt matter what you think, i like my ____ anyway"
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i mean really she is 5 and comes home saying that the other kids in her class (there are only 2 african americans in her class of 20) make fun of her hair, or say that she is not popular enough for this and that....they also make fun if other kids arent wearing jeans in kindergarten! so i want her to be tough and not cry each time a mean girl has something to say! thats what got me through school being overweight, i had more jokes than the average bear lol
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I am raising my kids to be happy, healthy, responsible, productive members of society.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2010