Is anyone using breastfeeding as a contraceptive?!

CaityMarie

Asked by CaityMarie at 1:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope and I wouldn't suggest it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Heck NO! I know too many people with breastfeeding contraception babies.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:45 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• While breastfeeding does supress ovulation in many women it should not be used as your only form of birth control.

I chart & I know that I'm not ovulating right now so we have unprotected sex but if my body shows a sign of ovulation, even if I know it's probably a false sign right now, we use protection. I've used this method since we had our first child and never gotten pregnant when I didn't want to. I never ovulate while breastfeeding until my children are well over a year but not all women work the same way.

It's more likely that you are not ovulating if you are exclusively breastfeeding but only charting can tell you for sure.

Get the book Taking Charge Of Your Fertility. It has a whole section on practicing LAM as a part of FAM & preventing pregnancy while breastfeeding.

There are a few uneducated people on here that will tell you that you can ovulate with no signs of it. They are uneducated on the subject
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• u, you can get pregnant while bf.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:02 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Yes, I did! It is called Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM) LAM Article

Natural Child Spacing and Breastfeeding

"The chance of pregnancy occurring during the first three months of ecological breastfeeding are practically nil. During the second three months, there is a less than 2 percent chance of becoming pregnant before the first menstrual period. After six months postpartum there is a six percent chance of becoming pregnant before the first period. That means that an amenorrheic woman who is relying on ecological breastfeeding alone has a 94 percent chance of not becoming pregnant during the second six months postpartum"

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My mom got pregnant 3 times while breastfeeding. I wouldn't suggest it! She got pregnant during those "second" six months.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2010