Is private schooling a better education then public, and why?

I have always wanted to send My children to Private School My whole life since the day i even wanted kids. I was told by many parents that it is indeed better because public schools have so many kids, and the teachers are all limited by the time and amount of students in one class. I have to agree because even when I was in school it was challenging getting the one on one help that I desired for learning. So i lacked some of the things I wasn't so good at such as math. Now to this day I am not the best with remembering certain equations.

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 2:13 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• actualy it all depends on the private school. private schools also do not have to hire people with the same degrees and requirements that public schools require. just like with public school , not alll teachers are equal or great. You wil have to do some serious research on the private schools you contemplate.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:16 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• It really depends on the schools and the child. Where I live, if you child needs extra help the public schools have more resources available than the private schools. Generally, private schools do have smaller class sizes and stricter discipline procedures which can be good for many children. Here in Indy, magnet or charter schools are a good public option to private schools, if you can get in.
    You really need to research specific schools and school systems to find what fits your needs best.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 8:10 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• It may be a better education ( for some schools) but I have noticed in my area, the kids that go to private schools, end up worse off. Because they are "supposedly" protected by all the drug and sexual pressure' But they are not. In "our" area, the private school kids are the ones getting pregnant going to parties getting drunk, and doing drugs.
    You have to think of the pros and cons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• In the state that I live, they generally are. Most children who go to a private school are ahead of the public schools....even homeschooled children are. I currently send my son to a private Christian school, and he is by far ahead of children in the public school in the area. The PS is also a small school, maybe 20 kids! I love it though, lots of one on one.
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 8:40 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• It really depends on the schools. For my family and my oldest child private school was the right decision. I am a product of public schools and had an amazing education. DH went to private school until 5th grade, and his education sucked, both private and public.

My kids are receiving an awesome education but we are paying through the nose for it. But our kids are flourishing and they aren't so protected as some private schools. We live in an supposedly amazing district but the test scores are always lagging and they teach to the tests.

Research the schools in your area. Maybe a charter school is best for your kids. It wasn't the answer for us, but it is a great middle ground.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:46 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Depends on the schools. We have some inexpensive private schools here that pay teachers far below what the public schools pay so their candidate pool is made up mainly of those that could not get a job in the public schools. They run on a tight budget and although their class size may be small, they do not have the equipment or programs available in the public schools. Also in this area, when you get expelled from public school you can not attend any other public school in the state for a year- guess where those kids go to school- private! You need to take a look at what is available in your area and decide what will work best for your family. If religion is something you feel needs to be part of daily education than private or home schooling may be a good option for you. The bottom line- look for yourself- do not go on what anyone else says- your childs needs are different than someone elses.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:06 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Nope, it is not. When I taught public school, I had 20 kids in class. When I taught private school, I had 30 kids in class. The kids in private school are snotty and spoiled with an overbearing sense of entitlement. If you want after school help, you have to pay the teachers. They don't get paid shit and aren't going to tutor for free. The teachers don't have any requirements, like college or teacher college. They just have to know someone or be a nice lady. Also, the private school may or may not be accredited, so you can spend all that money on your kid's school and it may not count for anything. Their diploma won't be worth it. You need to check those things out ahead of time. Public school has its issues too, but I'll take them over private school issues any day.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:06 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Based on my educational background, the fact that my daughter has a degree in Elementary education and the fact that I have volunteered in my childrens' classrooms, I would say that there is little difference between Public and Private schools. There IS one thing that makes a BIG difference,though,and that is that Private Schools cost a whole lot of money . And they won't protect your children from the real world out there. :-) I am 100% in favor of a Public School education.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I went to a Christian school from 5th through 9th grades. It was the best option for middle school, but once I got into high school, I was WAY behind my public school counterparts. When I was in 9th grade, we moved to a new house and the neighborhood was in the district for the only magnet high school in our county so my parents switched me. I definitely had more options in high school. The private school I went to has since made tons of improvements and added all kinds of programs to its high school curriculum so I would actually consider sending my kids there now.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I want to address "teaching to the test"- If your standardized tests are meant to measure the standards put out by your Board of Education than I hope your school would indeed cover what is on the test. As far as the test prep done- yes- your children will need testing taking skills through out their lives- ACT's, SAT's, college tests, even some pre-employment tests following the standardized testing formula. If your private school does not have some type of standardized testing I would question its practices- how do they measure the teaching and how well the teachers are able to impart the important concepts the school wants the kids to know to advance to the next level?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:33 AM on Feb. 22, 2010