Would you like to put your children in a private school for some better one on on education?

I would, because I feel that it would be more beneficial as they grew into young adults and older.

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 2:14 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yep did it after 7 years in the state system, never regretted it!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 2:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Nope because my daugther gets all the help she needs.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I had my kids in a private preschool, but they've been in the public schools since kindergarten and I've never had a problem. They've had excellent teachers and made some good friends. The state mandates class sizes anyway, so there aren't that many kids in one class.

Answer by missanc at 9:51 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Private school still doesn't mean one on one education. I know, because mine were in private school and they still didn't get the attention and education they needed. We homeschool now. Homeschooling is THE only way to guarantee one on one education. I shouldn't have to pay someone to teach my kids, when I already had to teach them when they got home because the teacher was too busy to do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I did. I did because I worked in public schools. I am not anti-public schools and nor do I think my child is too good for a public school. In fact, I am zoned for an excellent public school. What I have an issue with is: larger student/teacher ratio than what I am comfortable with. 20 to 25 kids in one class, even with an assistant teacher, is too big for my taste. Same for first grade through fifth grade. It is not a criticism against teachers. Teachers do not have a say in how many children they get in their class. They can express concerns to the administrators but it will not often change the results. I am also not satisfied with NCLB Act and all the test and pretesting that is done. Teachers are not allowed to speak out against the testing.  But being tested in K-5 as many times as they are.....yikes.  And I did see first hand teachers teaching for the state/national tests.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:24 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I also have difficulty with the traditional classroom set up. I like for my child to have a little more independence and freedom than a traditional classroom setting. There are other issues. I don't like the idea of death by homework. What I mean is hours and hours of homework distracting from family time. I do believe in a small/moderate amount of homework, if necessary, to reinforce a lesson or for additional practice. I saw thrid graders who had to stay up all night to complete homework. I also don't appreciate the limits on recess. Every child should have plenty of time to run, jump and play. If you don't complete work or forget homework - taking away recess is not the answer. In fact, I believe it made the issues worse for those children who chronically did not complete their morning work or forgot homework. I choose private school until my child can transition smoothly into a public school setting.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:28 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Sort of. I'm homeschooling and in the state of California the best way to do that is to register as a private school. So yes, i feel he will get a better education in our private school and a LOT more one on one! :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:54 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My kids go to a Catholic school but I wish they didn't. Our public school has no room for them. Their classrooms are relatively small. My 1st and 2nd graders have 22 kids in their room. My 4th grader has 28 kids (biggest class in the school).
    When my oldest was in public school in another state there were 13 kids in her 1st grade class. And there were 3 classes of each grade. The largest was like 5th grade that had 18 kids. Most had 11-14 kids. She definitely got more one on one attention in public school then now.
    I wouldn't send my preschooler to a private school. The ones around here are all religious and the Catholic school is bad enough for my older kids. I don't believe in any of that stuff and I really didn't want them learning about it right now either.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• No, that won't be necessary. We live by a good school district, and I will be a very involved parent helping my child with her educational success as well.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2010