Do you know of any good casserole recipes?

I would like to make more casserole dishes for dinner, but need some help with some good recipes.

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 2:16 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I am not a huge casserole fan, but there are a couple that I make. There is a casserole recipe exchange group on CafeMom.
    Kadee's Pot Pie, great for lazy cooks like me! You can sub whatever and I'm sure it'll still be good.
    Crust (double this if you also want crust on the bottom, I like it better that way):
    1 c. flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
    1 tsp. salt
    4 tbsp. butter
    1/4 c. shortening (I use earth balance sticks)
    3 tbsp. ice water
    Mix all but the water with a fork until shortening is the size of small peas. Add ice water and mix to pastry consistency. Refrigerate while you mix the filling.
    Filling:
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can vegetable broth
    1 small potato, cut into 1/2" cubes
    1 carrot, sliced
    1 large mushroom, sliced
    1 small can corn (I use frozen)
    1 small can peas (I use frozen)
    about 1/4 tsp. each: sage, thyme, & oregano
    cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:58 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Mix all these things together (you can use more or less broth to make the sauce the consistency you want). Cover the bottom of two loaf pans with crust (if you doubled the crust). Pour in the filling, and top with the rest of the crust. Bake at 400 degrees for about an hour

MEXICAN BEANS AND PASTA BAKE
    1 med. onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    2" segment hot chili pepper, minced or 1/4 tsp. cayenne
    1 tbsp. chili powder
    1 qt. undrained canned diced tomatoes
    1 tsp. oregano
    1/2 tsp. cumin
    1 c. uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni or other pasta broken into pieces
    3/4 c. frozen or canned corn
    3/4 c. diced zucchini
    3 c. cooked pink or black beans (or two cans)
    1/2 c. sliced black olives
    1 c. broken taco shells or tortilla chips
    1 c. shredded Jack cheese or cheese of your choice

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• In a skillet coated with non-stick cooking spray (I use olive oil) sauté onion, garlic and hot pepper for about 3 minutes to soften. Add chili powder and cook briefly. Add tomatoes, oregano and cumin and bring to a boil. Add pasta, corn and zucchini and simmer 15 minutes until pasta is just tender. Stir in beans and olives. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Transfer bean mixture to a shallow 2 quart casserole. Top with taco shells or tortilla chips and cheese. Bake for 10 minutes to melt cheese. If casserole is assembled in advance and chilled, increase baking time to 20 minutes or until heated through. Top with sour cream at the table.

STUFFED PEPPERS
    (The original recipe called for brown rice, I substitute quinoa)
    4 large red or green peppers
    1 T olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 stalks celery, diced
    1 t cumin
    1 t chili powder
    1 t basil
    ½ tsp oregano

cont

• 2 cups cooked quinoa or brown rice
    1 ½ cups cooked and drained red kidney beans (or one can; really, any bean will do)
    2 T tamari
    Cayenne to taste
    1 ½ cups canned tomatoes with their juice
    1 small can tomato paste
    Thinly sliced cheese (optional)
    Wash the peppers and cut them in half length wise. Remove the seeds. Place the peppers, cut side down, on a rack above boiling water. Cover the pot and steam for about 10 min or until they are just beginning to get soft. DO NOT STACK ON TOP OF ONE ANOTHER...they will not steam evenly. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions, celery, cumin, chili powder, basil and oregano. Saute until the onions are almost tender. Add the cooked quinoa and beans. Mix well; then add the tamari and the cayenne to taste. Mix again.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Mix again. Lightly oil a shallow 7 x 11 inch baking dish. Fill each pepper with the bean and quinoa mixture and place the peppers side by side in the baking dish. Mix together the canned tomatoes and the tomato paste. If the tomatoes are whole, chop them up or break them up with a fork. Pour the tomato mixture over the stuffed peppers. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake at 350´ for 30 minutes. Uncover the dish and top each pepper with a thin slice of cheese if desired. Return the dish to the oven and bake an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

• I have many, many casserole recipes on my blog, Rhonda's Homestyle Recipes:  wet burritos, tator tot casserole, shepherd's pie, chicken & rice, Mexican casserole, pizza casserole, baked spaghetti, lasagna, etc.  They're scattered throughout the blog.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:04 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Yeah, I have a ton of them, we eat a LOT of casseroles.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Feb. 22, 2010