Is it really harder the more children you have? And why?

My Mother has been telling me it is, and My Mom and Dad are still married, but apparently it's harder the more you have, but why is that? I wouldn't really think so other then Bills and food? I have one now, but want 2 more before quitting.

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 2:28 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's not any harder. You just have to be more organized. And you have to let the little things go and realize that sometimes not everyone is going to get exactly what they want or need at the exact precise time they want or need it. Yes, one kid might have to cry and pitch a fit for a few minutes but it's not the end of the world. And DH might have to wait for dinner or help with the dishes, but he'll live. You just do what you have to do when you can get it done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i dont know. i only have one here at home with us. my older two dont live with us. so i honestly dont know. i was an only child too.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I think that there would be more stress, because of that fact that really, one parent almost has to be stuck at home because daycare for 2+ kids is expensive! I also think that there is overall more pressure on each parent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Because you are doing more for more people. If they are close together, there are more diapers, more to dress, more to bathe, etc then as they get older there are more piano lessons, more soccer practices, more games. You also get pulled in more different directions - what about when the dance recital and the soccer awards banquet are on the same night at the same time? Your kids want you there at both, but you have to make that decision and break someone's heart!
    And things financially that you could do for one, you may not be able to do for 3 so you sometimes have to make tough choices there as well. It's definitely tougher the more kids you have.

Answer by missanc at 6:59 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i think there is an adjustment going from 1 to 2. i think there is another adjustment going from 2 to 3, when the kids outnumber the parents. i think anything after that is probably not a big deal. we went from 2 to 4, and are preggo w/ #5. after the twins, i think any single baby would be easy in a sense! michelle duggar said 17 was easier than 4! as more kids come into the family, the first ones get more and more independent. we aren't sure what we will do about college...i suppose we will help if and when we can, but neither me nor my husband had our college paid for...so i don't think that should deter anyone from having more kids. as far as food goes, you learn as you go to be more cost efficient! i suppose all parents have their own limits, and recognizing yours is probably the most important thing!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:42 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I have 6 and yes it is harder thank God I am finished.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:38 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I went from mom of 1 to mom of 3. My eldest is 21 months older than the twins. Harder I don't think so. Different yes. But my kids are at the age now that they are self entertaining. It is stressful, and there are times when we argue. But the positives far out weight any negatives.
    Sarasahmof3

Answer by Sarasahmof3 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• No it was easier for me to have more.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:49 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I don't think it is harder. I have 5....6 if you include the SD. It is busier for sure, always zooming here or there for doctors, sports etc. Harder no...I was just very organized.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:58 AM on Feb. 22, 2010