How much milk do you pump out at a time?

For me, I pump between 4-6 ounces out at a time. A few times 8, is that good or normal?

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 2:42 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Average is 1.5-2 oz combined per pumping session. More than that and you technically have an oversupply-no biggie I had a major oversupply until recently, you may notice that your letdown is a little more forceful than if you didn't have the large pump output- like spraying milk instead of dripping when you get full or baby unlatches momentarily. BTW, at 14 1/2 months I still get more than is normal, just not the unbelievable amounts I had in the first 6-9 months. It's just fine.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I think that it depends on how much and how often you do it. When I first started to pump I pumped about 2 to 4 ounces (both breasts). Later, when my son was older I could pump 8-10 ounces at a time. It really just depends on how much and how often. I think that 4-6 ounces is great!
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 6:16 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• right now i'm pumping. i pump in the morning before my ds wakes up (to help control the flow among other things) and right before bed. i was exhausted last night so i missed that pumping, now i'm going on 9 oz in each breast. my ds is 3m almost 4.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 8:35 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Depends on how old your baby is and how long between feedings or pumpings it has been.
    When my son was a bit older and I would pump at work after 5 hours I would get about 8-9 oz each time.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:44 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Normal is completely relative to each individual and baby! With 2 of my kids I could pump 8-10 ounces when they were only a few months old. With one of mine I was lucky if I could pump 2 ounces, and with one of my kids I could get about 4 ounces. Weird how different it was! Sounds like you are doing a great job!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:55 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• THATS GREAT 2 OZ BETWEEN BOTH BREAST IS NORMAL OUTPUT!1 YOU HAVE A GREAT IF NOT OVERSUPPLY. I USED TO PUMP 10-12 OUNCES AT FIRSTH THEN IT WENT TO 6-10 OUNCES AND THEN 4-5. BY AROUND 8 MTS ABOUT 2-3 OUNCES I STOP AT 10 MTS CUZ I WASNT PUMPING ENOUGH
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:59 AM on Feb. 22, 2010