Is it okay for 2 little girls to take a bath together?

So I gave my two young girls a bath together today for the first time because my youngest is now old enough to sit up in the bath without support! I was excited about it so I decided to call my sister-in-law to share the news. Instead of sharing my excitment she hits me with a negative comment that may or may not be true. She said she would never do that because girls can "pass" stuff to each other, yeast infections and other stuff I guess. I have several friends with girls that bath them together all the time. I've never heard this so I decided to take this to cafemom to see if anyone knows the true anwser. Please help!

clowry27

Asked by clowry27 at 2:42 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• well I suppose on rare occasions that can happen. but overall most people bathe thier kids together when they are still little. maybe your Dr would have more input than I have?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:44 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• When I was younger my mom put me and my sister in the bath together all the time and I never got anything i also had baths with my cousins who were the same age.
    pregnantandsad

Answer by pregnantandsad at 2:54 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I call BS on you sister-in-laws part. I am cracking up over here. Who told her that? I would ask where she got her info, then try to validate it yourself! ahahahaaaaaa!!!!!

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:05 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Ok, technically, you can pass things to each other this way. BUT - the sorts of things that they can pass this way are going to be one of 2 things -

1) diseases and things that 2 young girls aren't going to have or aren't likely to have anyway (and if they do, you have a much bigger problem than them taking a bath together) - such as being sick with e.coli. You can, in some rare cases, get a yeast infection from a shared bath, but as long as they have their own washcloth and their own towel that's not likely, either. Of course, one of them has to have a yeast infection to share it with the other. As long as neither of them have it, no problem.

Or, 2) it's things that as siblings that live and play together, they've probably already passed to each other, but you don't know that they have yet (one is incubating a cold and isn't showing symptoms yet, and has probably already passed it on to the other one...)

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:06 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• cont

As long as it's not like one is always splashing the other and upsetting her, or one or the other would prefer a private bath (which, when / if they ask or show signs of wanting, you need to respect it), and as long as you're in there supervising, then it's really no big deal.

OH - I thought of one other time it would be a problem - if one of them has some sort of serious health issue that has caused them to have a weakened immune system or something that is highly contagious, like TB...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:08 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My girls have always bathed together. So far they haven't passed each other anything that they wouldn't pass to each other out of the tub. If you like to bathe them together, go for it. There's nothing wrong with it at all. My kids love to play together in the tub and I like being able to get two baths done in one.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 3:13 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My DD and niece take a bath together all the time. They even request to take them together! I dont see a problem with it... I sued to take baths with my sister when I was younger.

RachMeg08

Answer by RachMeg08 at 6:07 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• hypothetically I think she could be right but the odds of one of your girls have a yeast infection and you not being aware of it are what? zero I'd guess. Have at it and enjoy this fun stage
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 6:47 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• LMAO Bet it's fun living in her house ! Tell your sister inlaw to take a valium... they are just fine, this is what over dramatic hyper-parenting can do to you, make you worry about stuff that has been done for 80 000 years without anyone worrying at all! They won't catch anything unless one of them has an infection... which you would know about!.. I've got four kids that have all bathed with each other at different times, with no passing on of yeast, disease or anything other than an overly developed fascination with bubbles in the tub...
    Your SIL needs to take a long deep bath herself and relax, you on the other hand should give yourself a high five and enjoy watching your precious girls play together. HUGS
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:53 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My sisters and I took baths together for years. It was easier on my mom to bathe us two (or three) at a time, so she did until we could bathe ourselves without her help or supervision.

I don't remember any of us getting sick from sharing a bath.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2010