How would you defend our constitution and our country, our rights to be free and make our own choices?

Do YOU believe that it will come down to violence? How would you defend our rights or do you think that we should just let our country become a socialist nation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Socialism directly confiscates freedom !

The Constitution declares that gov't cannot infringe upon individual rights - socialism claims people's individual property belongs to the social group. Direct contradiction.

In the name of "the good of the collective", etc. we are seeing many personal rights curtailed.
    Gov't taxes & regulations confiscate money from people and from businesses. This prevents them from opening new businesses, and curtails their ability to live where they wish to live. It also impacts whether their children can attend schools or other activities they would choose for them.
    We see arguments FOR requiring people to live healthier lifestyles because their ill health impacts everyone else when it raises medical costs. Why is this argument advanced? Because of socialized health care.
    Public schools are a socialized system, and NO religious liberty is allowed, on pain of legal action.
    Socialist=despot
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:04 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• There are rules and laws in place that allow us to change our government - we can protest, we can run for office, we can question the validity of various laws in court, etc. I would go that route.

There is a quote that I like. It says, "In a Democracy, for good or ill, the people get the government they deserve..."

If we don't like the direction our country is going in, then we have an obligation to do something about it. But, thankfully, I don't believe we have to resort to violence to do this. (It's not like there have been any sitting Presidents or other elected officials who have been voted out of office and actually refused to give up their position...)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I'm not too worried about it. The world is supposed to end in 2012 anyway, right? lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Oh, and by the way, just in case someone wants to bash me for that answer (not saying that anyone will, but just in case), I should add, I am a Veteran, I served during the first Gulf War (though I wasn't sent to the Middle East, I did serve on Active Duty then, and was willing to go if called to do so.)

My husband of 17 yrs still serves in the military - he hits 20 yrs in this summer, on the day we have our 18th anniversary to be exact :-) My brother is military and deployed, and there are lots of other Vets in our family. And our 17 yr old ds wants to enlist when he graduates.

My point with sharing this is that me and my family have dedicated a lot of our lives to defending this country and our constitution, and because of that, that's why I have faith in the constitution and the process involved - we just have to use our rights to use it, and our responsibility to know who we're choosing and what they represent.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:21 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I already do things to defend our country and freedoms!!
    1) I pray every day for this awesome country, constituion & government we have. This includes elected officials whether I agre with them or not.
    21) I vote in every election. The people who are on the school board might not make global decisions but they effect the future of this country & the world by how they effect our children/grandchildren
    3) I hold ALL elected officails accountable. Don't make promises you don't intend to keep.
    4) I served my time in the Navy. When I hung up my uniform, my oath to preserve, protect &defend the Constitution didn't end. I took that oath until I die. I swore that to my God and there wasn't a sentance that said it was only while I was active duty.

I am proudly an American. I live in the best damn country on earth. Don't like it? Let me know, I'll help you pack & get the F*** out!!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 4:18 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• People need to stop treating 'socialist' like it's a 4 letter word.

But that said, I pay taxes. I vote. I'm raising part of the next generation (we all are here, aren't we?)
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 10:09 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I have great hope that the next two rounds of elections will turn things around.

Yoshi, please remember that a government with the power to give you everything has the power to take it all away.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:34 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• THANK YOU Waganma and Sailorwifenmom!

OP let's pray it never comes to violence.I certainly would not prefer such ever.As it stands right now though I agree with Sailorswifenmom and Waganma keep speaking up..praying (if you do) and voting.This president and Pelosi and Reid and some others are pure narcisisst with a need to grow government control..BUT as stated we still have laws..freedom of speech and other great things that only allow them to go but so far..USE those rights OP no matter how tedious it may sometimes seem..use it or lose it I say.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:45 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I do not worry, it will not come down to violence, we live in the greatest country on earth.
    I always do my part, this country will never be a socialist nation.

Answer by older at 10:59 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I will do whatever is necessary to protect the Constitution. This being said, I do not advocate violence. I believe there is a possiblity we may see some, but not from those seeking to actually protect the nation. jmo I think we are on a precipice that will quite possibly decide our fate for generations to come. Thankfully, it appears common sense seems to be awakening from its long slumber.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:18 AM on Feb. 22, 2010