LDS question: What is a blessing? My friend says, "My husband gave a blessing..." to whomever...but what does that mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here's the definition from Mormon.org

Priesthood Blessing
    A blessing given by a Melchizedek Priesthood holder, by the laying on of hands and by inspiration, to one who is sick or otherwise in need of special counsel, comfort, or healing. If the blessing is for the sick, consecrated oil is used.

James 5:14-15 - No FALSE TEACHING HERE......STRAIGHT FROM THE BIBLE

14Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

15And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Your husbd cannot give out blessings only God can luv. Take this as a warning of some false teaching!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I am LDS. What it is is where 2 men (sometimes more) put their hands on your head, and give what is almost like a prayer. There are blessings where the sole purpose is to comfort someone, so in an instance like that the man speaking might say "so and so we bless you that you can have peace and know that your father in Heaven loves you" and things like that. Also if someone is very sick they can get a blessing.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Soccerchik is right. It's pretty much like a very specific prayer, in which the blessing giver asks for very specific blessings. . Right before the birth of my little guy I asked my husband and our very close friend to give me a blessing. They asked God to help me be calm, and at ease about labor. They also asked that labor would be quick and that the baby would be healthy.

Many people get blessing when they are very sick. Some get blessings when in need of comfort.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:36 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Ditto to Nika,

I'll just add that not all men are considered worthy priesthood holders who can give blessings. There's a process for receiving the priesthood, and living one's life in such a way that it's considered effective. And men being the priesthood holders does not mean we feel they are more connected with the Lord than women.

Actually, we say that women are more naturally connected to their spiritual side, and that men get the priesthood because they need an extra something to help with that. They need to be asked to give service to others to reach that same spiritual connection that comes naturally to women.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• OP here: I never thought it was supposed to be "from the husband" or that it was false teaching. To me it sounds like intercessory prayer. That is totally biblical. Thanks for clearing that up. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Feb. 23, 2010