baby sleeping too lightly

hi. dd is almost 8 weeks old. she used to earlier sleep quite well with noise and all. now she doesnt :(
she does stay up a bit and play 10-20 min after her feed but then starts to cry. i can put her to sleep quite easily the trouble is keeping her asleep. i dont mind if she wakes up except that she cries to nurse again but cant cause she is actually sleepy and then the entire day goes in crying and eating for 5 minutes at one go then sleeping and then waking up in 20-30 minutes again to cry and eat. and as a result she gets gassy and cries more.
if i keep patting or rocking her then she will sleep for 2-21/2 hours wake up eat for approx 20 min on 1st breast and 5-10 min on the second and play then sleep. im getting a bit tired and my older son is fed up of being quiet.
ps. she sleeps soundly at night waking once to feed and falling back to sleep.

happymum2010

Asked by happymum2010 at 6:28 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't let her fall asleep after 5 minutes of eating. Do whatever you have to do to get her to stay awake and eat for at least 20-30 minutes so she will fill up her tummy. Have you tried letting her take her naps in her swing or a vibrating bouncy seat? If she's sleeping well at night, that's something to be thankful for! I found that my kids did better if I let them stay awake after feeding to "play" for a little bit and then napped rather than going back to sleep right after eating during the day.

Answer by missanc at 7:04 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My dd is sort of the same way. She will only take 20 min naps every 2-3 hours during the day and I have to hold her. If my older dd is asleep she will sleep for 2 hours but I think it is because my older dd is too noisy :) You could try a white noise machine.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:48 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• It sounds like a normal newborn to me. My son was like that during the day. He never napped for long stretches.

He did eat for more than 5 minutes tho, he'd eat for like an hour and then sleep for 10 minutes. Maybe try getting her almost naked / talking to her etc. to try to keep her from falling asleep so quickly so she nurses better/longer at one time?

I think this will get better when she's not a newborn anymore.

If the noise is an issue try putting a white noise machine in her bassinette with her to drown out other noises.. and maybe you could set the baby in another room and turn a monitor on so your son won't disturb her.. ?

I don't think it's noise tho, I think it is she is catnapping (normal) but she's also not nursing for as long as she maybe should too and that's likely contributing to it.

Try swaddling her, too, since she sleeps good in your arms.

If nothing else take heart it's temporary ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I mean swaddle her AFTER you nurse her for a good period then perhaps put her back on the breast or rock her to get her to go back to sleep and nap better.

But really 20 minute naps is not unusual especially since she sleeps good at night.. My son didn't start napping for more than 20 minutes at a time til he was 6 months old.. I just learned to appreciate the 20 minute intervals and I was never quiet, it wasn't the noise I figured out it was actually just his nervous system settling down. At a year old he takes a 3 hour nap and noise is not a factor!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• If she's sleepign well at night, then she likely doesn't really need the daytime sleep too. They are very good at self-regulating their sleep. If she starts sleeping more in the daytime, she might not sleep so well at night.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2010