Disinfecting moldy toys...

My daughter has some plastic rubbery ducks that she takes a bath with every night and water gets inside them, which water staying on the inside created the mold...I want to know what would be the best and safest thing to use besides bleach...REMEMBER SHE TAKES A BATH WITH THEM...I don't want to have to throw them away.

kevinamanda1105

Asked by kevinamanda1105 at 8:07 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Health

• Bleach really is the safest thing to use, assuming you don't have asthma.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• mix bleach with water and let toys soak for a few minutes. if they can be squeezed make sure some of the solution enters the toys as well as to make sure it comes out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• yuck i HATE mildew and once it smells like mildew to me the smell never comes out. i always get the cheap ones and just throw them away after they start to smell! also squeezing the water out after bath time helps keep it from smelling soo soon! now i just get them the plastic balls for the ball pit and put them in the tub, they dont let any water in!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Baking soda and vinegar work pretty well-equal parts. Wash with hot water afterwards and let them air dry. That should do the trick. It will fizz a lot, so do it someplace where a mess isn't a big deal. I've also heard that peroxide is a good alternative to bleach.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i throw everything moldy away.
    prinzesa_edith

Answer by prinzesa_edith at 3:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2010