Ginger (when cooking)

Is "ground ginger" a spice you can buy in the spice isle and "grated fresh ginger root" the same thing? I am making "slow cooker orange chicken" and it calls for 1 TBSP. of "grated fresh gingerroot." I have a container of "ground ginger" would that work? I have never cooked with ginger root before? thanks!

would it really taste different if I left it out?

CoolMommyofboys

Asked by CoolMommyofboys at 9:19 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Fresh grated ginger has more volume than ground ginger and it's usually not advised to substitute in gourmet recipes due to the slight difference in flavor; crystallized ginger is a better substitute.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to use the ground ginger, but I'd only use 1/2 to 1 tsp. ground ginger.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:00 AM on Feb. 22, 2010