What works?

What do you do when your kid is sneaky in getting out of doing something? Do you take something away like tv, ds, etc or what? Nothing seems to work. It's a honesty issue, trust issue what do you do to stop it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't know if this would work nowadays but as a single mom I was terrified at the thought my kids would sneak out and I'd have no one to help if something bad happened to them. Part of the thrill of sneaking out is being rebellious. So I went so far as to tell them that if they decided to leave the house like that they needed to tell me they were going (and where) and to walk out the front door like a decent human being not crawl out a window like a thief in the night. I did mention there would be consequences when they returned though. It took the thrill of sneaking out away so they just didn't go! I ruined the fun for them. lol I did the same thing with running away. I gave them permission to do that if they ever got upset but they had to call me and tell me where they were. That worked too. We still laugh over that and they are all in their 30's now! You could always put a gps on their phone or follow them, too.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:46 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Lying, and deceiving in my house is unacceptable. It is probably the worst thing you can do. When we have caught our children lying or being sneaky (which is few times but they have tried) we have made the punishments pretty severe. My sd had to stand in a corner, facing the wall for an hour (that was my dh's choice, his kid, his rules). When my dd lied to me she was made to lie on her bed, facing the ceiling, doing absolutely nothing for an hour. Then when she was done she had to clean the whole bathroom, including scrubbing the toilet, shower, etc. I kept her busy with chores the remainder of the night until bed. No TV, computer, etc. Make the punishment memorable and they will think twice before doing it again. Just taking away a Tv, ds, etc. isn't going to do anything b/c they'll just find something else to do. OR make them earn the DS/TV. Such as...each day you act good you get 1 hour of time on your DS earned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Feb. 22, 2010