what do i do? i am having a baby in 3 or 4 weeks, i have a child who has been living with us for awhile, and I have no one to watch him when we go stay at the hospital. (prob 48 hours) my family does everything to help out, and they insist on being there with me to welcome my child. my DH family never helps out with anything... and would never offer, and its pulling teeth to get them to be flexile to help...

i dont want to worry about this right now. i have tooo much on my plate. i am sorry if my hormones are outta whack and i am flipping out..... omg. I want my mom with me - not babysitting a child from DH family side.... cant THEY help a little?????? I am going to hyperventilate over here....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• does anyone in your family care about the child? if so they will not let him or her be home all alone! you said u have a husband right? y cant he be in charge of the little one?? he can take the child to and from the hospital as he visits you.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:20 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• maybe you can hire a college student to stay with him. I think for 2 full days you could pay someone $100 and he coudl stay with friends or something.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• ummm... tell your family to either stay with the child... or tell your dh too. it sounds like everyone is pushing aside this "child who has been living with you for awhile". that isnt right. if your family wants to be there when the baby is born, thats fine... but they should bring the child, and go home with the child if your dh plans on staying at the hospital with you. otherwise you and dh are responsible... and hell have to be with the child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• can your family not watch the child? you said they do everything to help... i would ask them if they could help with one more thing. no reason to ask you DH's family for help... but also, i wouldn't be inviting said family over without saying "bring _____." or "you can come cook dinner for us."
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 11:22 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I would leave it up to your DH to figure out. Simple as that. Tell him that it's his responsibility to make arrangements and don't worry about it. Either he will or he'll be the one watching the child when it comes time!
    Anonymous

• the hospital will not let children in labor and delivery at all. my husband will be by my side the whole birth process. its our first child.... he wont miss it for the world. i will have to stay in the hospital 48 hours, and my husband will stay with me. my family does care about the child - thats why they babysit all the time and help out constantly. its DH side that wont help - and its actually their child... i dont know what to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• tell your own family that you're a grown woman and you have decisions to make - the most important one is that the child in question is properly cared for in a way that you are comfortable with.

A member of your family can sit in your home and stay with that child while others in your family visit with you then switch off. You agreed for what ever reason to take responsibility for this particular child.

Tell your family they would make labor and delivery much easier for you if they'd help you out during this time. If they refuse then don't let them into the labor/delivery room with you, they don't really care about your life then only about a specific point in your life.

Then go to counseling even now while this pregnant, with a minister or private counsellor or through a family services agency for you and husband to understand each other's obligations of families.

lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:28 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I agree totally with lfl. This should have been something that was settle a while ago, but someone has to stay with that child. When I had each of my children, my family did whatever was best for me - if that was staying with me in the hospital, they did it; if it was staying at home with my kids, that did that; If your family is the one willing to help, then you need to let them know how they can best help.

Answer by missanc at 12:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• if i lived closer to you i would watch the little one for you im so sorry you have to go throught this you have enough to deal with hang in there
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2010