How do you help someone grieve?

I know that this is a site for mom's but sometimes dog's can be just like children. My parents have 8 dogs, they had 9 until sat. night when one of their most beloved dogs Haus died in his cage. My dad literally had a heart attack when he found him. I don't know how to help. I am an only child and when I got married my dad started taking in stray dogs (he is disabled due to 2 previous heart attacks and a stroke). He has put everything he has into making their lives better. I don't know how to help him. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear it. Thanks...

Ralphiesmom922

Asked by Ralphiesmom922 at 11:32 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Pets

• There is a site Petloss.com that might help him. It is a chat room where people can talk to others about their loss. Just being there for him will help also. let him grieve and take the time he needs.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Hmmm.....I would say be there for him, maybe let him talk about the dog, if you have a picture of the dog maybe put it in a nice frame and give it to him. When our dog died it hit my dad really hard. He was recovering from heart surgery and he had had the dog since she was a pup, almost 15 years. He trained her and everything. He still acts like he misses her and occasionally talks about getting another one, but they don't have the room. Anyway, talking seems to help him, and so does spending time with our dog, who is the same breed as the one he had.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:56 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Grieving is a very private thing. I understand how he feels but each person must work it out for themselves.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I am a pet owner and when one of my animals pass away it is so emotional. When one of my dogs passed away 2 yrs ago I was so sad. I cried for months. Just be there to listen to the storys and let him know that the dog had a wonderful life because of him. Time will change the tears to happy memories.
    mammasamba

Answer by mammasamba at 10:04 AM on Feb. 23, 2010