how long do u pump for?

i just pumped 10mins on each side and didnt even get half of ounce should I pump longer next time? thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I first thought I didn't have enough milk to pump because I had very unrealistic expectations from the pump. It was an electric. It thought it was just going to stream out of me and into the bottle in seconds.

I pumped 10 min. on each side. When she was 2 weeks old, getting 3-4 oz. total. As she got bigger my body released more. I just switched to formula recently.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 11:46 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• First what kind of a pump are you using? Medela Electic or are you using a hand pump?
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 11:43 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• op here im using a Medela Electic pump from evenflo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I did 20 minutes total, but I had a double pump. Try stimulating let down more. Be happy when you do it (I know pumping sucks ass) I used to put my baby in my lap with his bottle while I pumped.

ps. i had lots of problems with supply. I can give you more info on meds if you need it. Just PM me.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 11:46 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• When you're not pumping enough, pumping more often should increase the amount you pump... also breast feeding of the nips is a big factor I hear.

Did you rent the Medela, or buy it? Sometimes the people who rent them out can give great tips on how to use it to the fullest.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 11:48 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• See I had a double pump too, but it seemed to work better when I did one at a time, or I fed on one pumped off the other.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 11:49 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Have a picture of your baby and something that smells like baby. But if you don't pump much don't stress to much. Some women can only pump a little at a time. My SIL could only pump an 1oz(that was the total from both sides) when she pumped. Where as I could pump 6 oz(totaly from both sides). Everyone is different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I never responded well to a pump either. I was lucky enough to be able to stay at home and ebf. But it's a pain in the butt when we go somewhere and I have to feed him or not being about to leave him. My son is almost 9 months now!
    bfaith7

Answer by bfaith7 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• What kind of pump? It makes a difference. You also need to practice and learn how to pump. Awesome info on maximizing pump out put, and learning to pump effectively at http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i had a medela. i would pump for 10 mts and get abywhere from 8-12 ounces but i did have an oversupply. normal pumping out put id 2 oz between both breast
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2010