What do you think of facebook?

also, what age would you let your child join facebook? My dd is 13 and she's been asking me for months...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I love it to connect with people I already know. I kind of associate myspace by meeting other people to be honest.
    I don't have a teen yet, so I don't know how comfortable I'd feel with them having one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Personally I love Facebook. I am addicted to all the little games on there. I also think it is a great way to stay in touch with family who lives out of state, friends from high school etc...If my child was 13 I think I would let them have one, but I would also monitor it a lot. My little sister is 12 and she stays with me a lot, she has a FaceBook. But I always get on there and see who her friends are, to make sure she doesn't have any older boys/men or people she doesn't actually know on there. She really only has her friends from school and family members on there so I think it is okay.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I love it for the fact that all of my family (near and far), old school friends, old co-workers, and online friends are all in one place. I also play some of the games when I'm bored.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with my teenager having a Social Networking account. I think that 16 at the youngest would be okay, but I still wouldn't feel comfortable with it. I'll decide when my kids are teens. Right now I'm just trying to keep my oldest (one) out of the TV cabnit and from taking the vent cover off.

I was a teenager who had accounts on a million different Social Networking sites. From when I was 13-14 years old. I know from experience how it's a bad idea for kids that young, who are soo impressionable, to be on there.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:51 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I like it because people can only search for you by name or e-mail, not age, gender bla bla like myspace. I'm on it and so are my younger cousins. They seem to act responsibly on there. Anything they write I see. If they add someone as a friend it alerts everyone else on their friend list.

if you are on her friend list then you can monitor anything she does, except personal messages.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 11:52 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i love it, and i think 14 is a good age but i have my 13 yr old cousin as a friend, her mom lets her go on it i guess it depends on their maturity and make sure they won't misuse it to post bad pictures or comments or talk to people they dont know
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 11:52 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I like it to keep in touch with old friends, and family that's far from us... Our 13 yr old son has a page but is only allowed on it when he's sitting next to me, same for anything else he does on the internet...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:57 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I'm hopelessly addicted to the games. At 13 I might allow DD to have an account. it would depend on DD's maturity level though. If you can trust your child to behave I would say its ok. If not wait a couple yrs.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:58 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I amy be a little strict, but i ndon't even let my 13 year old text. There is too much nasty stuff out there. Although I trust her 100% i don't beleive in social netowrking for kids who see their freinds everyday anyway. FB was designed and is meant for kids who just left college and now i think it is a great tool for old friends to catch up and stay in touch but kids don't need it - it will just get them into trouble.
    New2Florida

Answer by New2Florida at 12:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• It's great to keep in touch with people, but my child wouldn't be allowed to have an account until he was at least 16. I'm going to try to limit his access to the internet, other than for studying or research. I think so much technology is having a very negative impact on teenagers and children. 13 is too young, in my opinion.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i love facebook. i actually find it safer than myspace. everyone can see everything. possibly get a facebook yourself and monitor what your daughter posts and what pictures she puts up.
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 1:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2010