What and when did you start feeding your baby?

My baby is 6 months old now and I have already introduced him to starter foods like oatmeal, bananas, sweet potatoes, etc. He is super interested in the food that we eat for dinner! Did you ladies start giving your babies more exciting foods around 6 months? What types of foods have you tried and how old was your baby then? How about mashed up meats at 6 months? Or should I wait longer?

Hunter817

Asked by Hunter817 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Once I had given my kids all of the ingredients in the things we ate I would give him small bites of what we were having, provided it was soft and mushy. By 8 months he was completely on table foods.

Answer by missanc at 11:58 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• If the meat were mashed up well enough that choking was not a hazard, and your baby liked it.. I say you're good. Always double check with your pediatrician.

Gosh what a fun age, introducing foods. My son who's now almost 4 had all sorts of foods. I really bumped up on the veggies... that many toddlers dislike. Tomatoes, Broccoli, Carrots, Peas, just any food that you want your child to eat. Now my son still loves his veggies. He asks me for broccoli with his lunch. I don't have to sneak it into anything.

He started eating solids from the can at 4 months just for breakfast... by 6 months he was eating whole little peas, cooked carrots diced, small tomato bites, small diced chicken, hot dogs, bananas, and many things. As long as it's the appropriate size so they don't choke.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• my kids were about that age or just a tad older, but let me tell you once you start table foods they are not going to want the baby foods anymore my oldest was off baby food by 10 months old....and mashed potatoes at that age
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• baby foods are entirely unnecessary - - convenient :) but not needed. Mash up foods and let him at em with his fingers. Start with single ingredient foods to check for allergies, and then move up to combinations. As long as you're only introducing 1 new food every few days, you're good. Cereal is not so good for babies - - it has zero nutritional value, the added iron in it is difficult to absorb and can lead to constipation issues, and it fills babies up on empty calories (think of us eating a box of saltines rather than a nutritious meal). My kids favorite first foods were cut up avocados and bananas, and chunks of baked sweet potatoes. Remember also that until he is 1, all of his nutrition should really still be coming from breastmilk/formula - so nurse/give a bottle first, then offer a few bites of solids after. Have fun!!!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• We didn't even start solids at all until 6 months and that was only 1 meal a day. My daughter was closer to 9 months before she started having anything we ate (pureed), and almost 1 year when she was eating regular table food.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2010