Home Business Mamas ONLY! Please no home business bashers!!

I have a home based business. I love it! But I also have 2 small children and don't have 10 hours a day to market and network... But I know that the best way to build an income is to ALWAYS have new people to talk to...

So, where and how do I get more people to talk to? I want at least 10 people a day - 6 days a week to talk to. Right now, I get about 3 -5 people a day to talk to... How can I get more?

I'm posting classifieds, I work with Mom Pack to leave flyers nationwide, I network here and other sites DAILY! Plus I have 2 blogs, both with my business information on them... But how do I get MORE people to talk to EVERY DAY?

I really don't want to do leads - they are just junk 90% of the time...

I would love some suggestions! How do you find people to talk to and how many do you talk to every day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• I get free business cards from Vista Print and place them on driver side doors. I talk to people at stores who I think would be interested in doing what I do.

Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

• Get out and walk around the malls in the morning before they open- become a mall walker- I see so many moms pushing kids around before I open! Mingle!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I forgot to mention that I have two small children as well, so I don't have much time either. I usually advertise while they're sleeping.
    Anonymous

• Curious, what is it that you do?
    Anonymous

• Take a look around for the drop-in programs where the moms are. While it might be true that some stay-at-home moms lack cash to buy luxury or MLM-priced items, it's not true of all of them. And, lots of professional moms are taking sabbaticals but still have their professional contacts.

Activity centers, the Y, WIC programs, most churches... you're looking for bodies in large numbers, so look for places with fairly high volumes and fairly high turnover. When you're networking, you're not looking for names on a list to sell your stuff to: you're looking for connections to human beings who have problems you may have solutions for.

Five quality leads --people who are influential and know people, or who are looking for the same kind of thing you are but who have the time, energy, funding or drive to become the stellar sellers --those are the people you're looking for, not 100 people-with-no-influence-or-interest a week.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• OP here - Thanks ladies keep them coming! I do the vista print thing! I have the magnets on the car and put business cards and postcards EVERYWHERE! I don't usually talk to people when I'm out because I'm generally in a rush and have 2 small kids in the buggy... I tried to do the "mall walker" thing, but was kicked out of the mall... Just handing out business cards to people you walk past is seen as "unwelcomed" sales...

I don't know anyone "influential" and the few home biz ladies I know are not willing to network or cross promote for others - which I am very much willing to do!

Also, I don't have a product to sell... I have discount plans that work with a large amount of our local stores and shops as well as nationally... Anyone that shops will easily save thousands a year on everything from shopping, dining, auto care and healthcare... It's about saving, not spending.
    Anonymous

• Make flyers that target a specific audience. I don't know what you do/sell...but for example...think of various groups who would buy your product or service and tailor a message to them ONLY. Knowing your audience is everything. Learn good copywriting skills by reading online, and then craft a flyer or postcard for each audience individually. For example...if I sold cosmetics... I could aim one at brides and offer free consultations or demonstrations. I could offer them to expectant mothers where they could have a "pre-baby feel pretty" party. I could compile our easiest to use products and aim them at busy moms by advertising how quick and easy they were to use. Then send them out. For brides...bridal shows. The new moms I'd go to baby boutiques and baby ask if it could be included with a samples in the gifts they give those who register. The moms, gymboree or bouques. Get creative!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Okay...just read what you do...and you could still target it to specific people. Talk directly to THEM. A one-size-fits-all flyer just won't do! And make sure your writing is engaging, not too salesy, and on target. If you need tips, let me know. Although I could be biased...I'm a copywriter. LOL. (I know most businesses give you flyers, but they are usually generic based on the businesses I tried in the past...so I'd consider printing up something creative.)

You could also join groups online and in your area targeted as "frugal moms" or even just moms in general. A book club, a cooking class, a gym, etc... research your primary audience (for example...women aged 25-55 with 2.5 kids, lol) and enter their world WITHOUT being blatantly obivous. If you seem too salesy right off the bat... they will avoid you like the plague.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I work full time and run my business on my off hours so I only work my business about 3 hours a day. I do a lot of online advertising so it works while I can't. I use Craigslist, WAHM.com, Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc. I hang flyers, do home based business expos, leave catalogs and business cards in businesses. I don't do a lot of networking off line just because of my limited time away from my job.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Well locally what you can do is get one of those Photo Tote bags or purse (a style like the Mary Kay Catalog purse...a clear window that holds a full sized catalog) and make a flyer that says something like: "Want to save $$$ on your everyday purchases? ASK ME HOW!!!" and make sure you use that purse/tote when you are out. I used to sell Avon and had a purse that showed a brochure, pics of products and it said "I sell Avon. Ask me for a free brochure and samples" so even when I was busy with kids and not thinking about it people saw the purse and asked me constantly!

I can't stand the car magnets, the vistaprint ones are cheap and fall off or get stolen, BUT a window decal can say something similiar about saving money at local stores and your website and phone number. Again I did this with Avon and not only would people call me while driving and seeing me, but at red lights people would hop out and knock on my window
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2010