Really pissed off. Can I ask the store to refund my transportation costs to exchange my product?

Ok. I take public transportation, 3 buses to get to the grocery store and 3 to get back home. Well I went shopping last Monday and bought a package of cheese among other things. Today I opened the cheese...and there are HOLES all in it, clear through each slice.

I am understandable upset, they sold me damaged goods. I'm not going to sue or anything (I think our society is overly litigious) but it cost me $12 to get there and it will cost the same to exchange the item. Do you think they will reimburse me for my transportation costs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No they will not reimburse you for transportation costs.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• no. seems like you have yourself some swiss cheese!
    Anonymous

• I doubt you can get the money from them..I would just suck it up and pretend that it was Swiss cheese.
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 12:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Give them a call. They could have all kinds of creative solutions: maybe they'll put a gift card at the customer service for you, for the next time you come... or offer you a 2-for-1 replacement... or give you a cab voucher to get home again. If they offer free delivery service (lots do) they may even bring a replacement to your house. They may even waive the minimum purchase or delivery fee for a year for you...

Make sure you have lots of time to talk when you call so you don't feel rushed or panicky, and ask for the manager of the department you bought the product in --they often have a lot of power to fix things. Otherwise ask for the store manager and describe the problem as you see it (including your accessibility issues). Instead of telling the manager what you want, ask what they're prepared to do about the whole problem.

You may be pleasantly surprised. There is a lot of competition in their market, and they know it
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• nope, dont think so.. why not phone them up, talk to the manager explain that it costs that much to get there, and what not, and ask them if you can just wait until your next shopping trip whenever that may be so that youre not making a trip out ther JUST for cheese.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Nope, the store is not responsible for your transportation costs. I would call the store and talk to the manager, and tell him./her about the cheese being damaged. Usually in cases like this they will make good on it-- either with free replacement, refund the cost of the item, store credit, store gift card....The few times I have had problems with an item the store manager has always been very helpful and either replaced the item or gave me my $$ back.  

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• No, because you should have seen it when you bought it. But if you call, they probably will offer you a refund or a gift card the next time you go.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Nope, they will not reimburse you for transportation charges.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• so really is it worth even taking the cheese back?

either you are out the cheese

or

you are out 12 bucks.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 5:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2010