How do I cope with his anxiety attacks?

My hubby had a pretty bad anxiety attack yesterday. Being laid off a month and a half ago has not helped ease the stress.He recently ran into a friend and all the smoking he did gave him lung cancer. My hubby fearful of his future coupled with everything that has happened worried for his health and scared himself into chest pain causing us to rush him to the ER yesterday. He quoted..that he was afraid of going to sleep because he might not wake up. He was in that much pain. I cried so much yesterday that Im shell shocked. I cant cry anymore. Thankfully the ekg and chest x ray came back ok however I am worse for wear. How can I cope with his anxiety attack if I feel I am on the edge and I wasnt able to be as supportive as I could have been because I was so wrapped up in what I would do If he were gone. I feel guilty for not being stronger and heaven help me I dont think I can survive another attack if he were to have one. How do I cope, and did I do the right thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Relationships

• You are coping with him not coping with HIS anxiety. You did your part, your best. It is normal to think about yourself without him. You aren't the only one to think that way. How do you get your husband help so he can cope? He needs to see his family physician (maybe something short term to get the edge off the anxiety) and a counselling referral. It is too stressful to handle job loss by himself. He isn't going to be the best he can be so he can find a job. Be gentle but firm and tell him you are there for him and you can see you both need more support than you have. If you don't feel you can be honest with the doctor when your husband is present, call the doctor and give him a heads up on what is going on (especially the ER visit). You will get through this but it isn't going to be easy. Keep talking about it to your friends for encouragment and support so you can encourage and support your husband.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 1:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I have anxiety attacks and it gets so bad to where my chest will hurt really bad (Im only 22) but when I get them my husband just waits it out with me, really thats all you can do unless you take meds and I dont. Usually it will come and go and last all day.This might sound lame but when he gets them count dowm with him slowly, or put on some soft music, give him a back or foot rub, you need to do POSITIVE things to get his mind off the attack.
    Anonymous