Do your kids eat what you make for meals or do they have to have something different

like cereal or bagels or anything because they don't "like" what you made?

My SD was here this weekend and didn't like chicken on the bone so her dad told her she could have pop-tarts...

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 12:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm not and never have been a short order cook. When my kids were little, they either ate what I fixed or they went to bed hungry. I flat out told them that it was no skin off my back if they chose not to eat. NOW on the other hand, if I were cooking something that hub and I like and I knew the kids didn't like it, then yes I would make them something different. But otherwise NO, they ate what was in front of them
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• personally, i dont like chicken on the bone, unless its wings. So i cant blame her. I will however pick the chicken off the bone and just not eat the meat that was close to the bone. my daughter will eat what i cook, or she will go hungry. she's 3, and she has gone without. im not about to cook her a meal when i have already cooked for the family.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• They eat what I fix or they don't eat.... Thankfully our boys have always loved what I fix. We don't allow them to decide what they eat... That's why I'm the parent.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My worry here isn't so much her getting something else to eat, it's the fact that she was given pop tarts instead. If she keeps getting junk food when she doesn't "like" something, she's going to start saying she doesn't like all kinds of foods just so she can get sweets.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 12:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Nope our kids eat what we eat. The only time I do that. Is my oldest does not like meat. So I will give her a sandwich. But most of the time we have enough sides that she is fine with what we have for dinner.

My BIL and SIL are the same way. Once when we were visiting them. My BIL got up 4 different times to give his oldest Daughter something else to eat. He made her noodles. She did not want it. He gave her bread and cheese sandwich. She would not eat that. He got her some fruits and she would not eat that. He then made her pancakes and she ate that. It was like this all the time in there house. My SIL complains about having to make 2 to 3 different meals for lunch and dinner.

Going anon because my SIL is on here.
    Anonymous

• I agree with abbey rose about the other options, replacing good food with sugar? PErsonally I dont even buy pop tarts because they are junk food.

I dont cook extra meals, I do however tailor how a meal is placed on a plate and if i know my children wont eat a chicken from bone (which they do no problem) i would buy boneless. I have a son with Aspergers so Food was an issue in my house for a long time, other moms were amazed i wasnt cooking two meals, its easy not to as long as you know the eating patterns of a child and have food that they will eat and then the other food is negotiable, if they dont like the meat fine but you have to eat half of it or you can have extra veggies and brown rice. As my son grew we had the you have to try it twice rule and it worked he found he really liked different foods some just needed to be cooked differently.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• They eat what I cook, bless their hearts. I'm not a good cook.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My kids can either eat what I fix (and they have to try it), or they can make themselves a peanut butter sandwich. That's always been the rule.

Answer by missanc at 12:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• If I'm actually cooking then they eat what I cook or go without. My husband and dad think I should just let them make a sandwich but then every freaking meal they would cry they don't like what I made just to get a sandwich. Especially my 9yo because she acts like she hates everything I cook when I know she doesn't.
    And if I do make something I know she just doesn't like (because she has tried it many, many times over the years and just doesn't like it) then she has to have either leftovers or something nutritious (at least a sandwich with both meat and cheese and fruit or veggies on the side). There is no way she would be having cereal or poptarts for dinner.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• there is one meal that my toddler gets something else b/c its too spicy for her. i make her mac & cheese, but shes not picky and will eat anything...seriously she eats spinach & asparagus! so far im very lucky!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2010