milk before 1 yr

Did anyone give their child milk before their first birthday? How did they do. How did you do the transition from formula to milk? Did you give milk in a bottle or just sippy cup? My daughter is 11 months and she just chews on the sippy and doesn't drink at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I gave milk to my son by 6 months when I stopped breastfeeding. I used a bottle. Sippy cups weren't that popular back then.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I started my son on whole milk at the end of 10 months actually. But I mixed 1/2 and 1/2 til he was about 11 months and 3 weeks old then I started giving it to him straight. If you plan to go ahead and give your lo whole milk just watch for allergies or constipation. My son did fine. I started it off in the bottle then slowly transitioned him to full sippy cup. You might just try the sippy cup first. My son got rid of his bottle on his own right before he turned 1.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I started mixing milk in with formula or breastmilk in my son's sippy cup at 11 months. I had introduced a sippy with water at around 6 months, so by the time we weaned to a sippy he knew exactly what to do with it. Are you trying the soft spout sippy? That was easier for my son to start off with, and then we switched to the hard spout. He did fine, no allergies or constipation and he actually loves the taste of milk - so I probably could have gone straight to milk without mixing, but I had some frozen breastmilk and 1/2 can of formula I needed to use up anyway.

Answer by missanc at 12:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i switched my son to whole milk at 11 mts when i stop pumping for him
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I wouldn't do it without your doctor's ok. A friend of mine did it for her son (I believe what happened was her dad had died and during the chaos that ensues, they ran out of formula) and he ended up with extremely serious allergies to milk and eggs. Clearly others have been successful but I personally wouldn't risk it. Don't be surprised your daughter isn't using the sippy cup yet. it takes time for them to figure it out. Just keep trying.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Cow's milk is tremendously high in sodium, calcium and protein, which is the primary reason for the invention of modified-milk formulas in the first place: on milk alone, babies die of kidney failure and malnutrition. Cow's milk is made for calves' needs, not human baby needs. Calves grow from 20 pounds to half a ton in the time they're suckling, so they need massive amounts of minerals for their heavy bone growth and protein for their huge muscle growth. Human babies double the weight of their brains in the first two years of life, needing massive amounts of fat.

Which is why breastmilk is very high in fat and unmodified cow's milk is not appropriate for human babies.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Dairy is an allergy trigger food that should never be give to a child before age one.

Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 4:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2010