Is this fair?

My child is in middle school. Is your child counted absent for the last class if you pick them up a few minutes before school is out? Mine was and don't really know if it's really detrimental since it hasn't even happened but this one time the whole school year.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• In my school you weren't counted as absent for that, but I can't say for the school your children go to. Schools have different policies, but I do think that is unfair.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 12:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I find it odd that the child would be marked absent for the whole day if you picked him up early. The school gets money from the state when the child is IN class so it would benefit them to NOT do that.

Why did he have to leave early? Did you walk in and properly sign him out?

BTW... what does it really matter if he is marked absent. Unless he has an issue with constantly being absent does his count really matter for anything???

Anonymous

• I think that is weird, I would ask the school if that is their policy or if the teacher just didnt take roll until the end of class.

Attendance does matter at least at our schools, they have really cracked down on being absent. our schools even ask us not to make doctor appointments during school hours.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• call the school and ask.
    Anonymous

• Who cares? I mean, who cares what the school calls it? The child is there to get his (?) education from the school. It doesn't make sense to me that schools dictate terms when they're supposed to be held accountable for providing what they're contracted for.

If you're satisfied that your child has learned 'enough' in that class for today and whatever you need to get him (?) early for warrants missing out on the rest, why does it matter what the school writes in a book?

My daughter's orthodontist office promises two appointments per patient per year outside of regular school hours (not including pro-D days) because *most* of their patients are school age, and they'd have to practice from 3-11pm, to avoid school time. Too bad.

Considering that most kids get much less than 10 minutes/hour of direct instruction during school, it's hard to imagine why missing 10 or 15 days a year matters so much...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• At our middle school - attendance is for the entire day, all classes and taken in the morning.
    At our high school - attendance is taken per course and they can miss no more than 10 days per course....that excused, unexcused, what ever 10 days is the limit per course.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2010