Personal girl question****ages 5-6-7

My dd just turned six this past January. A few months ago I noticed she was a bit fuzzy in her private area. I just made a note of it, not sure of when 'peach fuzz' generally shows up. Last night during her bath I noticed she has 3 black, curly hairs. Only three, not sure how normal that is either. I was 9 when I got my cycle, but I do not remember when I got my hair, or how fast it came in. I was completely oblivious to my private parts at that age. I will be calling the DR this week to ask her, maybe make an appointment. Just trying to get some hands on info from other moms. I don't want to jump the gun with medication to slow this down if I don't have to. Anyone have any natural remedies that I can run by her doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• 6 seems really young to be getting hair down there already but 9 is also young to start your period...so maybe you just have that in your genes. I'm pretty sure everyone gets some hair before their period, but yes I would mention it to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• That is abnormally young. I hope she doesn't have a hormonal imbalance.

I started getting hair around age 10 and that was a little earlier than my classmates, but I also have very dark brown hair so that might have just made my development for obvious. I got my period at age 12 (11 to 13 is the average).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I have 9 y/o niece who has been showing signs for the last year and a half that puberty is starting so yes it can happen this young, it makes it harder to deal with since emotionally they are not ready and the immaturity makes it worse, my poor SIL is banging her head against the wall dealing with it.

I would talk to her doctor about it, but honestly i wouldnt give my child a medication to slow it down if this is how her body works then i would just deal with it as it happens and make sure the doctor and i were both watching her closely.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:56 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My biggest concern is her body changing and looking older than she is. I had to deal with men at the age of 12-14. Men in their 20's or older. Thinking I was older. I don't want that for her until she is mature enough. I really had problems with 'dirty old men'! She is just really a people pleaser by nature and this will be a huge catastrophy.
    Anonymous

• Precocious puberty is the term you're looking for...

It is caused by a lot of things, far more frequently than 25 years ago, some confirmed and some suspected (hormones in dairy and chicken; pthalates in plastics, phyto-estrogens in soy products, hydrogenated oils, high bodyfat ratio) but yes, it is early for puberty and it is happening.

Best introduce her to the feminine paper issue before the school's timing (grade 5 is going to be too late).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I agree with the first poster, 6 is very young to be growing pubic hair and 9 is slightly younger than average to start your period so it may just be genes though you are right to ask her doctor since a hormonal imbalance could also be the cause. I didn't start growing pubic hair until I was around 10 and my period started when I was 11 - almost 12. I have a 5 year old daughter, I also have a 6 year old and 7 year old neices who have no signs of puberty as of yet so I can't offer much for advice.
    Anonymous