Need some food ideas for my 1 year old

he has been sick, one thing after another for about 3 months. He's never been really interested in food, and I'm having some trouble coming up with ideas. He wont chew things, unless they're crispy like a cracker, and he now refuses to eat baby food, even his old stand by sweet potato's. He will mush things like tiny pieces of pb&j, or spaghetti, but he'll spit out bananas. I have to force him to try anything I eat(i have to shove it in his mouth) and if he likes it he'll eat more, if not he'll spit it out. I know we are behind, having this sickness has really thrown us for a loop, but he's got to eat stuff besides crackers and pb&j! Any ideas? he's lactose intolerant.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Here are some things to try that don't require much chewing: ripe avocado, ripe pear, tofu, try spreading other things on the bread, like refried beans. Since he's a year he might like scrambled eggs... if he does, you can add all sorts of things to them... My girls ate plain omlettes (or with cheese) for awhile and then I started adding cooked spinach little by little until they looked almost solid green! They developed a taste for it, but at first I was using a little amount of spinach that they couldn't even taste it. My fruit suggestions are limited since it's not summer... but when it's in season, you can try watermelon, strawberries, blueberries (I'd cut them in half if he's not really chewing), you can offer grapes but peel and quarter them until he's older, peaches, plums... I'd bet he'll get more into eating, Just give him little finger foods he can try to feed himself... I hope he feels better!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Have you tried scrambled eggs?
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 12:51 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Or maybe french fries?
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 12:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Have you tried putting peanut butter on bananas? Might work. My son didn't like baby food much either, especially by the age of 1. He would eat twirly pasta, favorites were strawberries and blueberries, green beans. Have you tried doing some home made sweet potato fries? They're fairly easy and you could bake them until crispy. My son loved yogurt too - and they have the yobaby kind now that has fruit and veggies in it (it does have some added sugar, so beware, but that may make it sweet enough to tempt his taste buds too!). My oldest didn't like veggies much when he was little so I used to make him pumpkin bread, or carrot "cake" - I would modify the recipes to cut out some of the sugar and use unsweetened applesauce to sweeten it. Good luck!
    Oh - and my son had a slice of cheese toasted on whole wheat bread for lunch - that's crispy/crunchy too!

Answer by missanc at 12:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• wholesomebabyfood.com

and

wholesometoddlerfood.com

=)
    Anonymous

• he'll only suck fries, or suck of the ketchup,but he spits it out if I rip I tiny piece off and put it in his mouth. I definetly will try the berries.

I made him pumpkin bread before, I'd forgotten about that! Thanks

I havent tried the scrambled eggs but I definetly will
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:00 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i just put whatever i make in front of my 1 and 2yr old and if they don't eat it then obviously they're not hungry enough to eat. i'm a little more lienient when their sick, like for lunch i'll give them something i know they like and will eat, but other than that the rules still apply. normally when they're sick they're not that hungry though.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I really would try the scrambled eggs. Ever since my son was like ten months (almost 2 now) he has loved scrambled eggs.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 1:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Well you know I am not much help as I am in the same boat (kind of), Mine will atleast still eat baby food. Some new things though that he just started eating with in the last week that maybe you could try.

Cheese
    Kiwi
    Grapes (cut up and peeled)
    Oranges
    Peaches and pears (in the friut cup with light syrup)
    Fresh peaces
    Plums
    Ham (lunchables kind)

He at some noodles and carrots the other day, but this is after sevearl attempts of getting him to eat these things on his own. Also I never force the food as I am scared that might make him afraid to try it on his own. I just keep offering him food and when he is ready, lets hope it eats the heck out of it!

Not much advise I know, I just feel your pain. And appartly from what I have been ready, not an uncommon thing for their ages.
    Zoey187

Answer by Zoey187 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My son is the same way and has been since 1 year (he's now 18 months) and I just had to keep offering him things. The Ped said he will eat when he is hungry. He's still breastfeeding though. But he loved Gerber Graduates ravioli's, gerber puffs, crackers (and I would add cheese or pb), toasted cheese, french fries but only the middle.. haha, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes just the insides, really really well done mac and cheese, he liked chicken noodle soup, .. It was hard I just had to keep offering things. He still to this day refuses to chew or eat meat.. so I don't push it.. Oh & he loves yogurt!

sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2010