My teenagers taught my baby to curse, how can I undo this?

I've talked to the teenagers and explained why hearing a baby say the "B" and "S" words are not funny. They won't do it again, but how do I unteach my 20 month old from repeating the words now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think the more you pay attention to it the more they do it. I'd ignore it and then get happy when they say something else.
    Anonymous

• It will take awhile but baby will stop using the words, just ignore it when you hear it, no reaction typically makes the words not much fun to use at this age. My daughter was around that age when she over heard my friends teen say F@#K IT! She said it for about 2 months and then stopped, we just ignored it and didnt react eventually she found other words that were fun and we supplied fun phrases...try things like "oh biscuits" to teach her and the other words will fade. My DD is 5 now and has no memory of using the F word, now she will tell people they have potty mouth if she hears it lol.

All three of my kids have picked up a word at some point normally around age 2 I have heard "oh shit" from my oldest and "damn" from my second child, but my yongest by far had the worst and most embarrasing, Hearing a 2 y/o drop the F bomb will definately make your head turn.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• when your child says f*** teach them to say DUCK! such as "no no the word is DUCK," let them know they are saying the word wrong
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 1:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Ignore it and it will stop.
    Anonymous

• do not give power to the words, when your little one says it say "we don't use those words" and then move on the more fuss and attention you give the 'bad' word the more the child will use it. You could try substituting "oh fudge" or "fiddlesticks" (or some funny word) and make a big production out of using the word.... that might get your child's attention and get him/her to pick up on using that word instead of the 'bad' word. Good luck!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I think I'd do more to the teenagers than talk to them! Everyone else has good advice for words you don't want to hear, too. My daughter picked up some phrases I didn't care for, not bad words, just things a child shouldn't say, and ignoring it worked great.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Definitely don't laugh. My husband taught my 2 year old the "S word" on accident (he got a few talks about it, too!) and we just ignored it or said, "No, that's a ______." and changed the subject. The little ones don't know what the word means so if they see no reason to say it, most likely it'll be forgotten quickly. My son hasn't said it in a while.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i got the same prob with my son hes 3, my boyfriend taught him to say bad words by not watching his mouth around my son
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 7:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I have a 17 yr old and a 5 yr old, I understand the problem completely ....as long as you tell the teens to re-word their words like say "flipping" or "f"= that......they will get used to it and as long as you ignore the bad words you little one is saying the words will be forgotten.
    my problem now is the TV is giving my son words!! like, son of a bitch ,asshole,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Feb. 23, 2010