What the best way to introduce cups w/o straws to a 3yo?

Right now she uses a cup w/ a lid & straw. I want to start her on drinking from a regular cup without the straw but am not sure how? Or even when. Is 3 too young? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter can drink out of a cup with a straw. You just have to know that they wont drop it or spill it. My daughter is 2, and has been able to do this since she was 18 months.
    Anonymous

• I introduced the cup at about 16 months. Just start out with a small amount of liquid if you are worried. At age 3, she should get the hang of it quickly.

Anonymous

• I know a lot of 3 year olds that can drink right from a cup (of course my son is not one of them..lol). You could try the cups with handles on the sides which are easier for them to grasp. I think you just need to keep trying her to use it and eventually she will. At least she is using a straw with a cup and not a sippy like my son. I'm sure she'll eventually catch on.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 1:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My kids drink from cups with no lids or straws etc and have been since they were 2 years old so I don't think 3 is to early. The issue is you need to watch them like a hawk for a month or so and constantly remind them that the cups do not go on the carpet or whatever. In my house we have hardwood that is easy to clean except in the living room and upstairs so they learn that the cups don't leave the hard floors. Our dentist recommend getting them on a regular cup around 2-3 years old to help with proper jaw development. We still use spill proof straw cups in the car etc.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• my other concern is just taking the cup and straw from her too soon. her cousin is four and has been useing a regular cup like adults for a little while now.
    Anonymous

• 3 is most definitely not too young. Start her out with a small shatter proof cup and fill it no more than 2/3 full. If you are worried about spills start with water only in the cup and don't try it when you need her to be dry and ready to leave the house. My twins started using regular cups at least some of the time by about 18 months, and at 2 1/2 they rarely spill (they actually make a bigger mess using a straw). Your daughter should be able to master it pretty quickly at 3; she just needs a chance to give it try.

Anonymous

• just give her a plasti c cup. she is not young at all. dd has been drinking out of a regular cup since she was 18 mts. she is going to turn 3 in march. giver a lil at first and her a cup with her fav character .
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My son is almost 3. We started with a two handled cup (which i readily admit are hard to find) and just a little liquid in the bottom. He figured it out pretty quickly but I still mostly use cups with straws to avoid the mess that occurs when he gets bored or annoyed. :) If you can't find two handled, get small plastic cups that are textured to make them easier to hold on to (we bought a bunch at the dollar store). If need be, start by holding the cup with him so he gets the general idea, then let him do it. Like the others, 3 is definitely not too early and he'll probably pick it up quickly.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• no, 3 is not too young. i just took away all the cups with lids and told him to use both hands. we kept reminding him to be careful and use both hands and he did really well.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Let him see you use one and let him see the drink 'disappear'. Then ask if he wants to try and explain what will happen. My son has known how to use one for years and he is 3, so I don't think your child should have a problem with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2010