my 11 month old wakes up at night after only being asleep for 2 hours screaming and it often lasts for 45 minutes! Any advice

stefnicole

Asked by stefnicole at 1:11 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• possibly may have gas? or a discomfort? check to see if your babys stomach is soft like it is suppose to be. Maybe an ear infection?
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 1:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I do believe it is a phase. My son was the same way. It sucks but eventually goes back to normal. But I would do like the above poster said and check if anything is causing her discomfort.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 1:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My son did this too about the same age. I actually asked my doctor about it and he told me that at that age they are looking for reasons. He said that if they don't want to go to sleep they will look for a reason not to have to! If you continually go in and check on him he will know that that is the way he can stay up a little longer! My doctor told me to take three nights, one after the other,put him in his bed, make sure he was clean and fed w/ no problems and then close the door and let him cry it out. He told me it would be hard, and it definately was, but after the third night I would put him to bed and he would be asleep about ten minutes later! He would also sleep through out the night and wake up about 7:30 the next morning! I was so hesitant to do it but I am so glad I did! Maybe if you can do it , it might work for you!
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 1:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Is he screaming by himself for 45mins? He's calling you because something is wrong. Could he be teething? It could be a growth spurt and he may be hungry or have growing pains. I did CIO w/ DS, but I would never just let him cry hysterically. DS is almost 3y/o and just started waking up crying in the middle of the night. I figured out it was because he's cutting 2 top molars all at once and he's in pain. An 11m/o is not manipulating you by crying. He's trying to get your attention so you'll figure out what is wrong.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 1:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Sounds like night terrors to me.
    Anonymous

• The person telling you to CIO didn't read your question right.
    Anonymous