If children are a gift from your God...(spin off)

Does this imply that you aren't bound to them as their mother? In the post below about aborting in extreme circumstances, many said they would leave it in gods hands. Or that they wouldn't "murder" their fetus. BUT, what about your living children? Do you not, as their mother, owe them first, to be there for them?
Would your god want you to simply walk away from those children you already brought into this world?

I guess I'm just shocked at the number of people who would opt to very possibly leave other children motherless for a fetus that wouldn't survive outside of the womb. Don't we all have a duty to our children that we bring into the world?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think people who are pro-choice will ever truly understand those who are pro-life, and visa versa. Because pro-life see the unborn baby as a baby. A living baby, their living baby. So to them abortion is the same as murdering any other human being. Whereas pro-choice do not see an unborn baby as a viable human being. Making abortion okay since the fetus cannot survive on its own. It won't matter how many agruments there are between the two view points. The fundamental beliefs between the two groups are so vastly different there will never be an understanding between the two. Just as one side will never convince the other that their side is right and the others are wrong.

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 4:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• well think about before there was even the thought of abortion, they'd have to leave it in God's hands anyway right? Sometimes God has a plan, and if that plan is that you pass on, then it's for a purpose. God won't give you more than you can handle, and if the child can't handle not having a mother, then i believe He'd let her live, or give them a step mom.
    Anonymous

• Yes, we do have a duty to our children. And anyone who would leave their children for a fetus that wouldn't survive anyhow doesn't deserve the blessing of being a mother. Harsh? Don't care.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 1:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I agree with you! Abortion is such a touchy topic because most women will never have to do it! It's one of those things that is commented on by people on the outside of the circle, you know? I think that it is a good option for those women who have no other options! But like you said if there are already existing children then there is no reason to leave them mother less!
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• "Sometimes God has a plan, and if that plan is that you pass on, then it's for a purpose. God won't give you more than you can handle, "

But maybe your god gave you the drs. to offer you a better solution so as not to leave your living children motherless. Then what? You made the wrong choice and died, and what? How do you know that your god isn't offering you the best choice, and you chose wrong? Wouldn't he rather your children have their own mother there to raise them?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• But, How can a Dr. say whether a fetus will live or not for sure? What if a baby that would have been perfectly fine was aborted due to a persons stupid misjudgment.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 1:24 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• "But, How can a Dr. say whether a fetus will live or not for sure?"

I'm talking about clear cut cases; when the fetus is already dying or there is severe problems. And its done out of scientific explanations and testing, not personal judgement.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Has anyone ever heard of adoption? Just wondering, since to me, that seems like a much better alternative than to murder your unborn child.
    Anonymous

• "Has anyone ever heard of adoption? Just wondering, since to me, that seems like a much better alternative than to murder your unborn child. "

I'm talking about the hypothetical from below, that the choice was, abort the fetus so the mother could live b/c the fetus was sufering from a severe problem. Otherwise the mother would die.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• In that case, I believe that you should do whatever it takes in order to make sure the mother will survive.

Anonymous