What should I expect from the ENT visit (ear infections)?

My daughter is 17 months and the poor thing has her 3rd double ear infection in five weeks (her 9th one since her first which was less than a year ago). We FINALLY got a referral to the ENT... what's it like getting tubes? What's the procedure like, how did your kids react to it? Did you have to wait awhile to get it done? Do you have to do ear plugs for bathing? Did your kids still get ear infections? Thanks for any info.

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 1:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• my son has the same prob. so did i growing up as a toddler. luckly my son grew out of it hes now 3. dont get tubes
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• In the winter time it's more common to get ear infections. My son had 6 and one busted an ear drum in 4 months last yr. In May we saw an ENT and I was given the choice to wait and see if he had another infection during the summer and if so he was getting tubes or I could opt for tubes right then and there. I am so glad I waited! It's been a yr since his last ear infection!
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 11:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I just got done with my daughters first ENT appointment this past friday. She's had 4 ear infections since January. He said there was so much mucousy fluid in her ears that he's surprised she isn't leaking it everywhere. She is getting tubes on March 10th. I say go for tubes if the ENT thinks its best. Too many ear infections can cause hearing loss. My brother and I both have 20% hearing loss in both ears from ear infections as babies
    Xandriasmommy

Answer by Xandriasmommy at 10:39 AM on Feb. 23, 2010