shold i be concerned? or put my foot down?

my dd is 2 1/2 and recently {the last week} she has been refsing to eat what i give her. meal times. breakfast she does okay,she'll usually eat what i give. but lunch time she'll refse and dinner time is a joke. she has been saying her belly hurts..BUT she's more than happy to eat chips or honey buns, or anything "junk". i have stopped giving her snacks during the day UNTIL she eats her meals. is this correct?

mywonderyears

Asked by mywonderyears at 1:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you're on the right track! My son was a very picky eater and wouldn't eat anything other than snacks and chicken nuggets! He loved breakfast as well but would give us fits at lunch or dinner. My husband and I took away the snacks all together and made him a plate of what ever we were eating. He wouldn't eat it for a couple of days but after those couple days he got curious cause we bragged so much about how good it was and he started trying the foods. Now he eats all kinds of stuff and is a bottomless pit!! lol
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• oh ur doing good, also try giving her stuff to dip her dinner in,like ketchup or ranch, my little girl loves to dip chickan nugets or veggies just about anything realy that is dip able.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:53 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I agree with the others. However, I sometimes would offer him whatever I had for the previous meal as a snack if he got hungry. Thus, if he wouldn't eat his grilled cheese at lunchtime, that became his snack. That allowed him to have something to eat if he was hungry without allowing him to get away with not eating because he didn't like the menut. My son is 3 and we sometimes do the same thing. I put his meal out and he can choose to eat or not. While I won't force him to eat things I know he doesn't like, I do keep offering them (you never know!). I always have at least one item at each meal I know he likes to avoid totally frustrating him. That item is always a healthy one. I've also found that he's more likely to eat if I just leave him alone and don't try to encourage him to eat or respond to his refusals..
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My 14 month old will normally try a couple bites. I just finally got him to eat eggs. He is very picky though. When he's older, I'll do like I did with my 3 year old. I'll offer dessert or a piece of candy after the meal has been eaten. Or if I don't have anything to offer, sometimes we just compromise and I'll tell her to eat 5 bites and then she's done but I get to fill the spoon/fork so she ends up getting a lot. Orrrrrrrr if she wants to watch a particular cartoon, I'll say after you eat your lunch. I use all those methods and interchange them depending lol on how I'm feeling. And she MUST try everything I make at least once...doing this has actually expanded the list of foods she will eat now. Some foods take a long time for her to like others not so much. And when I'm eating sometimes she will ask to try it on her own.
    Pristine_Dream

Answer by Pristine_Dream at 10:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2010