i need a hug... im just feeling so down

My sweet sweet 8 yr old is not doing well in school. she knows it too. it is just heart wrenching to see a child loose faith in themselves academically. her sister is very bright and her brother gets 100% on most state testing. she sees that too. im just so sad. Im in the process of hiring two tutors - a reading tutor and a speech teacher. I also have a call into get her privately tested for learning issues. My heart just aches.

sorry had to get it out anonymosuly. guess there is no real question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Can you stay home,mommy and kid beats any hired person,if you can i would do that.
    Anonymous

• ugh that terrible. I'm so sorry. My 3 year old cousin lives with me... he cries when he pees his pants. he wants to make it, he just doesnt sometimes. i know thats nothing like what your little one is going through, but it is terrible to see that disappointed look, and especially when they're disappointed in themselves.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• That goes to show you how individual each kid is, I know what you mean mom, but it will be ok. Lots of hugs for you!!!!!!

Answer by older at 1:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Keep your head up!! You never know she may be a silent genious! She probably is ahead of what they are teaching in school! My son was getting bored with school and I couldn't figure it out so I thought maybe he was ahead of the other students! I started letting him read a level above what they are reading in school and it has made a significant difference! He gets excited because he recognizes words that he has read in these older kids books, and when his teachers say them he blows them away! He likes the attention! You may just let her do something a little more challenging at home and then tell her to teach her friends the cool new thing she learned!
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 1:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• anon :40 I am a sahm... but I need professionals to tutor her... obviously Im not doing it well enough

Anonymous

• try to just focus maybe on each day not the school year, right now until testing. Focus on homework per day and that's studying her courses to some degree, all of them, to be prepared for the next day.

When my dd was little I used to get a bunch of stuff on the table - little toys of any kind, cereal pieces as snacks, stickers, erasers, dollar store rings .... and every time she did a problem without a fuss she got a prize. They were right in front of her. Every time she got a right answer she got another prize.

My husband made sure we had books at home so if dd forgot a text book we had it at home. Also suggest try making a notebook of daily good, great accomplishments. Something good she does every day -might not be academic but shedoes at least one good thing every day youknow that.

In a week or two just randomly remember the book and say hey remember when you did ... so great, so nice? Anything ev.thing good.
    Anonymous

• My sister has a very similar situation. Finally she had her daughter tested for learning problems and now her daughter has an IEP. She has blossomed in the past year because she is getting the help she needs. Her reading has improved ten fold. My advice is for you to get her tested asap and then follow up that her school is working to help her. If she has an IEP then her school is required to help her more and in the capacity she needs.

Big hugs! Getting her tested and following through to make sure she is getting the education she needs and deserves is the best thing to do.

hugs

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I'm sorry she has to go thru that, I know just how she feels. That is great that you are getting help for her, hopefully that will help her feel better about things. Showing your support and help will mean alot to her for sure!
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 2:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Just hang in there keep close with the teachers and work together I have meetings with my ds teacher once a year and with the councelor and the speech therapist and the principle (she is not there too long) and we talk about my ds it has now been 3 yrs. and he has been doing better (not great) but better my dh and I tell him hey as long as you bring home a C-D we will be happy but do your best and he does. So just work with her or have her siblings work with her she will soon catch up on her own pace. I remember when this was first brought to my attention I was like...huh.?...not my baby :( I was so sad and disgusted but only time helped me so you should do the same and ask God for strengh. GL Been there!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2010