What do you think about stores restricting returns?

Increased Fraud Leads To Tougher Policies On Bringing Items Back.

You will be asked for a photo id every time you want to return an item.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• About 12 yrs. ago, I bought something at Target, took it back the next day and because I wrote a check, they refused to give me a refund. They said they would mail me a store credit, when my check cleared in 14 days. So I went to my bank, got a print out showing the check had cleared and went to get my money, after a very heated discussion, they refunded the money.

Needless to say. I didn't shop at Target very much any more and I still don't... How nice for them to make money off of money, they owe their customers, they get us every which way they can...

2
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:17 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• You know this has just started happening where I live and it boggles my mind! I bought a shirt for my mom at a local store in the mall and they told me that I could not return it due to a policy change! I ended up not buying it cause if it didn't fit I didn't want her to be stuck with it! I think it would really hurt their return customers. I am more apt to buy something from a store that I know that if it doesn't work out I can return it or exchange it! I understand they don't want to lose money but somehow I think it will effect whether or not they make money! Good question!!
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Do you have a link to the story? I'd be interested to know how something like this is intended to work. It would be great for stores if they could decrease fraudulent returns, but I'm unsure how asking for an ID is going to help. Will they put it in some nation-wide database for every store to access to know when someone is returning stuff too often? Will it hinder my ability to return things I bought, regardless of how much merchandise I'm returning, as long as I provide a receipt?

I just need more information to form an opinion on this.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I just need more information to form an opinion on this.

Reading the fine print on retailer's return policies

Anonymous

• It doesn't seem all that different from what I already expect. The key is to familiarize yourself with return policies before you buy and don't throw a fit if something doesn't go your way if store policy is clearly stated.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• There HAVE to be some sort of limits or conditions. I worked at Wal-mart years & years ago. We got clothing returns from purchases made more than a year previously. We got returns for items that were not even sold at our store. We got returns that were dirty, stained, obviously worn. At that time it was anything goes! So, I kind of understand the store's position, but it needs to be a policy that will not prohibit returns, because that WILL cut the store's sales.

7
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I hope they crack down on the scammers and frauds...criminals. I have worked in retail a lot and I have seen people bringback clothes with dirt, wrinkled, smelling like stale smoke and expect to get their money back. I helped a security guy catch a fraud...a team who stole items at one store,then returned it at another of the same stores in a different area of the city. I hate how they try to rip off stores. And , when you want cash back...LOL... A receipt is absolutely necessary!!!!! WHo is so lame that they don't keep receipts???
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• i dont keep recipts all the time. or i missplace them. i just bought some shoes at target for my girls. i expect them to work. i didnt spend 16 dollars on a shoe that doesnt work. i didnt keep the recipt, because i just didnt. i dont plan on bad things happening. if the velcro stops working i would hope they return it withought a recipt becaue target is the only shoe that sells that brand. So to the PP, no not averyone keeps cluter around and, no im not lame.
    prinzesa_edith

Answer by prinzesa_edith at 4:05 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• if the velcro stops working i would hope they return it withought a recipt becaue target is the only shoe that sells that brand.

***
    I'm sorry but "if the Velcro stops working?" Do you mean after WEARING said sneakers for a few months, you expect to be able to return them for your money back?! LMAO!!! Do you apply that logic when your kids "unexpectedly" outgrow their pants or shirts?!

Besides, Velcro can be cleaned/fixed by using a sewing needle to clean out the "hook" side.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:19 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• OP--I'm not seeing ANYTHING "outrageous" regarding returns from the link you provided. 30-90 days to inspect, try, and/or realize something is wrong with a purchased product is really quite reasonable. Seriously, if you didn't "get around" to inspecting the item in that 30+ day window, chances are quite high that you didn't need it anyway!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2010