Ugh.. my son is so hard to put down and waking up for so long!! Reassurance/advice please.

My son has been sleeping through the night since 7 months aside the rare night.. he's almost a year and he just started taking his first steps about 5 days ago and ever since he's been taking FOREVER to go down at night. It used to take me 45 minutes for our routine (sing some songs, brush teeth, read books, nurse for a few, go to sleep). Now it's taking 3 hours - when I lay him down he screams.

And he is waking up at 3-4 am and staying awake for an hour crying and generally refusing to go down.

I don't think it's teething, but I tried a little motrin the night before last and teething tablets last night and he was actually worse.

Cosleeping is not an option and my back and neck are killing me! ugh. Tell me this will end soon or somethin I can do to help him!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try rubing his legs and thighs after bath time,he could be sore from growing and walking.also helps if there is a nite light,for some reason my little one sleeps so much better if she has a bath every nite and a night lite.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:57 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My kids always woke up to eat. Since you say your son is walking, he is burning calories and needs more to eat.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• giggle.. but that would make sense if he wasn't so grumpy about it.. he has rarely woken hungry but when he has he's only up for maybe 15 minutes to nurse and goes right back to sleep.. this is 3 hours of him nursing and getting mad.. and he's also not nursing most of the time he's awake at 3-4 am he's crying most of it. I offer the breast but he just spits it out after he's done eating and cries in my arms til finally he latches on after like 30-40 minues of crying and falls asleep.

I don't get it. I think maybe the first answer is right maybe his legs hurt!
    Anonymous

• Oh ok. Its hard to determine sometimes. If you think he is in pain then you should definitely trust your instincts. GL mamas.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2010