How often do you say "I Love you" to your kids? to your SO/DH?

My husband and I made this silly little rule when we first got together to tell each other "I love you" at least five times per day, every day. We end up saying it a lot more than that to each other, and it's rubbed off on our kids. I say "I love you" to my kids at least once an hour, and they say it back. Often times hubby and I will fake argue over "I love you more", and that too has rubbed off on our kids. They like to say, "Mommy I love you all the way to China!" And then the other will say, "Well I love you all the way to Pluto!" And then the other will say "I love you all the way to the end of the galaxy!" They're not just empty "I love yous" either. I mean it each and every time I say it, and if nothing else, my kids and hubby know with out any doubts just how much they mean to me.

FYI hubby and I have been together for 12 years, and our boys are 6 and 4 years old.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 2:13 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I love you's can be heard all of the time in my family! I say it to my husband and my children countless times a day. IMO you can never say it too many times as long as you mean it every time! I think it's important that my children feel comfortable expressing there emotions without judgment and this is a good way to do it!
    apattinson

Answer by apattinson at 7:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• We're about the same. I tell my son who is 4 months I love him countless times through out the day, and I'm sure I say it way more than 5 times to DH too :)
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 2:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• We say it all the time in our family!
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My 15 yr old and I 'fight " to see who says"I love you infinity + 7" first, then the other acts mad they didnt get to fist. I tell my SO at least once a day, and my kids constantly. Never too many times imo.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• all the time! DH and i always do that too, "I love you more, i love you more than more, ect" my kids are 1 and 2, they'll say it back to us when we tell them, sometimes my 2yr old will come up to me and tell me he loves me.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• That is so fun!! we don't do it quite as often but several times a day for sure, lots of hugs and kissed too.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 2:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I tell my kids several times a day at random times, and definitely when I drop them off at school or at bedtime. I tell my SO all the time too. We definitely say it when we get off the phone with each other or when we are leaving each other's company (to run errands, go to work, things like that), and then just randomly when we feel like it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• My son tells me more than I ever get to say it. LOL We say it alot. He is 14.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I tell it to my husband probably too often! He will call me back if he forgets to say it at the end of a phone call.

My son is 2 and is just learning how to say it, but it's so adorable when he does. How can you not love on a two-year old?
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I don't know exactly how often but we all say it a lot!
    I love them and want them to know it!
    My DH says sometimes he feels a little weird saying it because his parents didn't say it to him very often. Mine didn't either and that's why I make it a point to tell my DH and children, "I Love You!" at least once per day! :-)
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 2:34 PM on Feb. 22, 2010