(True or False) "Working mothers less likely than Stay-at-home mothers to be disrespected by their husbands."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Given society's emphasis on money as the measure of one's worth, I imagine it IS easier for men raised IN this society to subliminally respect a paycheck more, or at least for them to expect to SEE visible results of their wife's hours at home.

And feminism has NOT helped this societal attitude - the feminist spotlight has been focussed mostly on how women can do "men's work" JUST AS WELL as men, and how women shouldn't be "restricted" to "women's" work. ... Hmmm - which gender's work is portrayed as desireable, and which is to be avoided??? ... Don't we think decades of this message has had its effect on boys as well as girls?

Hopefully, every father is an enlightened man with no subconscious programming which comes to the surface when he's tired, stressed, and feeling imposed upon by the world. Hopefully, he would never take his frustrations out on the person it is safest for him to dump on.

Don't hold your breath!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• what???
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I'm a SAHM and my husband has a great deal of respect for me, and tells me on a regular basis that he appreciates me and what I do. It has nothing to do with whether or not you work and everything to do with the type of person you are and that you married.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Every mother works. it's just the difference of being paid or not.
    Anonymous

• I would say true for the most part. Pretty sad.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Hmm I can see that being true in a sense...only because I am a SAHM and my fiance has made SEVERAL comments to me that were very disrespectful. He has thrown his clothes on the ground and when I asked him to please pick them up he said "SAHM, that's YOUR job" and didn't pick them up. He thinks that because I stay at home, that he doesn't have to help with a single thing around the house and that it's my job pick up after HIM.
    Anonymous

• Anon, I had to same problem with my S/O. I quickly got a job so I wouldn't have to deal with this crap.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Working or stay home has nothing to do with the amount of respect a wife receives from her husband. That depends on the man the woman chooses to marry. If she marries a man who values a woman who earns money, than she is going to have trouble getting respect from him if she chooses to stay home. If a woman marries a man who values a mother to stay home and raise the children, she will have trouble getting respect from him if she chooses to work.

I do believe though, that our society in general has more respect for dollar signs than anything else. So in general working moms tend to get more respect from our society.

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 2:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• False. If your husband treats you rudely, thats just him. If it wasnt you being a SAHM he would find something else to be rude about.
    Anonymous

• I do believe though, that our society in general has more respect for dollar signs than anything else. So in general working moms tend to get more respect from our society.

I have to second this.

Anonymous