What advice would you give a soon to be new mom about labor and delivery?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 2:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Relax, it will all be ok, get the epidural and enjoy the experience, its not as bad as everyone says.
    Anonymous

• Relax. It's not as bad as it seems. I got the epideral and it helped me to relax while in labor. If your hospital allows it, bring popsicle sticks because they help you stay hydraded along with water. Just keep yourself calm and focus on breathing.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:27 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• don't let them talk you into a c section
    Anonymous

• Relax and remember you are the mom. Don't let nurses push you around unnecessarily. It helps if you have a husband, mother, or someone else to help you get what you want.

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 2:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Don't panic... breathe and don't freak(unless you really want to LOL) out if things don't go as planned. Somtimes our little ones don't wanna come into the world the way we want em to and thats okay. An epidural IS okay if it gets too painful, so don't be ashamed if you have to ask for one. You are in charge... so go ahead and ask! And one last thing, you CAN control who comes in with you, so don't let your mom, MIL, BIL, sister, great aunt, or second cousin twice removed demand to see the birth, unless you want them there. I know there is more, but I thought I'd go with this... :)
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Get a doula and use her. Use a midwife not an OB unless you are high risk. Make them tell you the real risks to the interventions that they try to get you to use. If they won't tell you, ask for their supervisor. Don't go to the hospital until you are ready push unless you are high risk. Don't let them break your water during an induction incase the induction fails -- that way you can go home. Make sure you have an advocate with you who knows what you want - your hubby, a doula preferably, your mom etc. Don't let them tell you not to eat/drink - do it if you want to do it.. go get them yourself. Don't let them tell you that you can't leave the ward - you are not their prisoner just because you are a patient. Pick a baby friendly hospital that encourages rooming-in and breastfeeding. If you want to breastfeed make signs that say "no bottles, no formula, no binkies!" for the baby's bassinette.
    Anonymous

• I say: BREATHE and relax. I also say to research!!!!!! Then, make a birth plan and make sure everyone follows it. Don't get pitocin, water breaking, strapped to the bed with the moniter, dialation checks or anything like those interventions.

Relax and let your body work on it's own and for you.

I was 19 when I had my son, I researched, I had NO medicine, I had a 7 hour max labor and he was out in 2 pushes. So, I do know what I am talking about. It might not happen like that for you, but, you never know unless you try.

Above all: YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF YOUR EXPERIENCE!!! RESEARCH AND DECIDE.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Prepare for a birth without an epidural EVEN IF YOU PLAN ON HAVING ONE. Epidurals don't always work, they don't always have time, etc. You need to be prepared. The worst horror stories I hear are from women whose epidurals didn't work. I was one. It was god awful, because I wasn't prepared enough. With my second, I was prepared, and there wasn't time for one anyway. It made a huge difference in my experience to have confidence that I could handle labor.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Know the risks associated with interventions & epidurals. It can be very dangerous & like stated: doesn't always work so know some coping skills to deal with the pain. Birth isn't horrible, especially when it's natural.
    Anonymous

• 1) Make a list of all of your preferences regarding meds, delivers, episiotomy, DH cut the cord or not, visitors... Don't leave anything out.
    2)Be prepared to be a little flexible on your plans. Things do no always work out exactly the way we want them to.
    3)Remember the question 'What is the medical indication for that?' If they stutter don't agree right away thing about it. :0)
    4) have someone there who is willing to speak freely in your behalf. Someone who is not shy and will hold nothing back!
    5)get a picture of baby on the scale with the weight showing and one with the delivering doctor.
    6)Tell them you want a mirror even if you think you don't. They will set it up but you don't have to look. (I didn't have one and regretted it later.)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2010